Anyone familiar with virtualweberbullet.com?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TheCook

Senior Cook
I've been reading the articles on virtualweberbullet.com and on the Fireup section I noticed the author uses charcoal briquettes over lump charcoal. From reading this forum over the last year or so I've come to the conclusion that most here are pro-lump over briquettes. Is that about right? If so why would he advocate using briquettes over lump?

Also, from the articles on that site, he talks about using chunks of wood to smoke meat with actual smoke.

The advice you guys gave me a while back was that for ideal smoking you dont want to actually see smoke coming from your chimney, you want it to be almost clear. And when it is smoking, you want to cover your meat with foil so you dont get any smoke "residue" or whatever on the meat.

Any thoughts on this guys?

Thanks.

I use chunks of wood in my WSM's. I put about 4-5 pieces in the charcoal ring spaced out so they will catch at different times. Works for me.

I use Kingsford for fuel all the time...I add wood chunks for smoke. BTW, what is the virtualweberullet.com? :shock:

I use Basques lump (made from hardwood Maple) 100% of the time in all of my smokers. Well other than the Traeger of course.

I find the Basques lump to be terrific in all of them, little ash steady temp great flavour.

Works for me.

Diva Q said:
I use Basques lump (made from hardwood Maple) 100% of the time in all of my smokers. Well other than the Traeger of course.

I find the Basques lump to be terrific in all of them, little ash steady temp great flavour.

Works for me.

Diva, when you use hardwood lump charcoal do you add wood do it or just use the lump?

Greg, check it out...its has lots of info about WSM and a forum too, I think.

I add 3 - 5 chunks of wood usually a mix of hickory and cherry or pecan and cherry.

Nick, Greg is just being facetious lol

IMHO lump in a WSM isn't enough to give that nice smoke flavor..you need to use some wood....I prefer lump over the other stuff...

My reasoning for using Lump over briquettes is the Royal Oak lump that I use leaves very little ash. I also do know briquetts can have all kind of nonwood products in them as fillers and binders. Plus RO lump weighs less and I'm lazy. :oops: I don't think there is really a big diffrence, I believe it is more a personal preffrence. Go with what makes you happy.

JR said:
I use both, depending on my length of cook and what I am cooking.

My preference is Basque lump charwood, with Maple leaf lump charwood a very close second. Both are pure hardwood, made from forest left overs.

Maple Leaf makes a 100% hardwood briquet, using only wheat starch as a binder.

Short indirect cooks in my Weber Kettle I will use lump.

I am presently learning the ropes with a Char-Griller SuperPro/SFB, and I use a combination of both types.

Diva, when did you get a Traegar?

Smokin' John

I got the Traeger about a month ago>? Gary from Traeger dropped a LIL Tex for me to try out and use till the Barrie comp. I will be buying one now.

Witt,

next time I am down your way I will bring you some of the Basques to try. It has a wonderful flavour.

Diva Q said:
Witt,

next time I am down your way I will bring you some of the Basques to try. It has a wonderful flavour.

I used the bag that I got as a gift last weekend at camp...Nice stuff !

Glad you liked it John.

I hope the Company gets more American Distributors.

That would be good for them.

I use both lump and briquets depending on the cook. I have DuraFlame briquets available to me and do prefer them to the new kingsford. That said in blind judging I personely know that briquets can produce great product.

If I have a long cook briquets give longer burns than lump but shorter, high temp cooks lump is a great choice.

Jim

wittdog said:
Diva Q said:
Witt,

Cool always up to try something new..Thanks

Ditto on the Basques...great stuff, real good aroma when smoking, I hate to finish this off cuz I won't have no more.

Home Depot is doing Rancher briquettes, from the Original Charcoal Company, I just started using them in the WSMs two weeks ago, but I won't be going back to Kingsford in the near future.

The Rancher has a much better taste and cooked longer than Kingsford on an overnight cook, it also cooks hotter IMO and so necessitates a slight change in fire control, but is also useful if grilling.

I usually use lump...with that said the other week I bought 20 bags of The Original Charcoal Rancher that was on sale at Home Depot for $2.99.

I have an extra grate on top of the briquette/lump grate that is criss crossed. When I fill the ring entirely with unlit lump charcoal then add about 15 lit briquettes I can easily get about 14 hours. I may could get more but I haven't ever needed more yet. I also add about 5 chunks of 1/2 fist size wood.

Back
Top Bottom