Another Chicken Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
While growing up, we always had stuffed turkey in the oven ~ No one ever got sick (that I was aware of 8-[ ). Butt, like with the chicken issue, I play it safe and cook our stuffing outside the turkey. :(

And I love oyster dressing too, along with gibblet dressing. =P~

I have never not stuffed a turkey or had one unstuffed. Growing up my Mom and Uncle used to make the bird for T-Give and it was always stuffed. I just ate a stuffed chicken the other night...I made sure the temp of the stuffing was 165*...I'm still here and no worse for the wear! :!:

We never stuffed inside..don't know if mom did it for safety reasons or not, but I still make mine in a seperate dish. And it's loaded with oysters!!!!!!! Come on Thanksgiving, I can't wait for you!!!
Gonna get the gravy boat out of the cabinet to day and polish it up!!!

Bob T said:
With the debates going on about cooking chicken over other foods, bloody chickens and so on, how many people here pack their stuffing into the chicken/turkey when cooking it?

My wife handles the Thanksgiving scene , I can t cook in the kitchen worth beans myself. Its one of those holidays that we do things traditionaly, but she does the dressing inside the turkey and man is it good.

IMHO if you are cooking turkey low and slow you need to be aware that the stuffing will spend a considerable time in the danger zone. With that said you will need to bring the stuffing up to 165 for some period of time to kill all the baddies in the bread. That may lead to undesireable results for the turkey. Fast roasting a stuffed bird is a safe and tasty way to prepare your T-giving meal.

Smo-fried turkey with chestnut stuffing made in a seperate pan with greens, cornbread, greenbean casserole, garlic smashed potatoes and giblet gravy and all the other garnishments, and pumpkin pie for dessert! Man, that's what the doctor ordered. =P~ =P~ =P~

I love the holidays for Good Q!

Jack

Where's a turducken fit into all this? They're bigger, stuffed multiple times, and take a lot longer to cook. I've done them a couple times, for the novelty mostly, and no body got sick. But TL has a very valid point. This is one meal with a lot of elderly and very young in attendance--the most vulnerable. I'm gonna cook dressing in a pan in the future.

Griff

I do stuffed ones in the oven, unstuffed on the grill. Only one time have I ever cooked stuffing exclusively outside the turkey--it was nowhere near as good. I would not stuff a low/slow turkey but I don't do turkeys low or slow; too much of a crisp skin fan.

I make a cheesecloth bag fill it with with stuffing and nuke it till hot then stuff the bird with the bag. I make more stuffing than will fit so the extra gets mixed with some of the accumulated pan drippings (I make a quart of baste so I have plenty of drippings) , stuck in a roasting pan, foiled, and baked. When the turkey is done I pull the stuffing bag, mix that stuffing in with the stuffing in the pan and return it to the oven while the turkey rests.

For smaller birds I don't make a bag and I don't nuke the stuffing but I do make it kind of at the last moment so it's still pretty warm when it goes in the bird. For larger birds I usually do both and for really large birds I definitely do both.

agree Tex, the Turducken is mainly just for show....I understand the
duck grease flavoring the other birds, but I'd rather have em seperate
anyway.

Back
Top Bottom