Another brisket question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Flytyer said:
So I'm wondering when to seperate the point from the flat. This will be the first time I do a whole packer and I'm not really sure how to proceed. Can't friggen wait!!! [smilie=rlp_smilie_242.gif]

As usual, thanks for all your help - seriously, you have really been kind and generous with your knowledge!

I like to remove the point before cooking, others like to leave it on for the entire cook or remove it when foiling if they foil. Since this is your first packer I would recommend leaving the point on at least in the beginning. It will be very easy and pretty much self explanatory where to cut once the brisket has cooked down and rendered. If you plan on foiling, remove the point when the flat reads between 160-165*, wrap the flat but leave the point unfoiled. Pull the flat when it hits between 190-195* or when a temp probe goes in and out with little resistance. Let the flat rest wrapped in towels and in a dry cooler for a minimum of one hour, several hours is better. Let the point cook at least another three hours or so after you pull the flat off. It has a lot of fat that needs to render. When the point hits 200*, pull it and cube it up and toss and reheat in some BBQ sauce.

I prefer to leave it until after.

Then I cut up the point for burnt ends back on the smoker for a couple hours.

Lots of comp cookers will tell you that the flat will draw moisture from the point during the cook and they leave it on for that purpose...however, other trim it prior to cooking to prep their burnt ends in a specific way.

I prefer to leave mine on during the cook...just my preference! :D

Burnt Food Dude said:
The few times I've done a packer, I left it on until it was time to foil then I cut it off. I returned the point unfoiled to the smoker. I pull and foil it when I pull the foiled flat.

Oh, before I forget, I add more rub to the point when I put it back in the smoker.

Good man! :D

I like to cut the point off before cooking & grind to make briskit burgers from it mmmmmmmmmmmmm

i separate it before cooking and trim it really good...that way i can get rub on the parts i normally can't if i leave it intact...then i just rest the point back on kinda where it normally goes...sometimes i have to move the point more on the flat 'cause it doesn't fit in the wsm.....

Rob

Back
Top Bottom