Advice please!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

allie

Sous Chef
Ok I'm planning on smoking a chicken, a fatty stuffed with cheese, and an Alaskan pink salmon. It's a whole salmon and weighs about 10 lbs. I have rub to use on the chicken and the fatty (Wolfe rub and some Famous Dave Chicken spices). I am thinking of brining the chicken in some apple cider I bought today.

My questions are how long should I expect it to take if I keep the smoker around 200 degrees? Never having smoked salmon before, I am completely clueless on what to do with it!!

Any helpful advice appreciated!!!

Thanks!

I was thinking the Wolfe rub would work well for the salmon. I'll ask Les to help me out with filleting it before I cook it. Right now it's frozen solid!
I'm not sure which day I'm going to cook. I'm thinking Wednesday is looking like my best weather day this week. Today would have been great but I didn't have everything here! lol

Thank you Brian!

Allie, the big thing is to watch the temp of the salmon. I have only done the one but someone kept telling me to watch the temps. I used my wire therm in it and got it up to 145* internal. Took it off and let it rest. Took around 30-45 min if I remember. Hope this helps.

Allie, try THISrecipe, you will be very happy you did. I've used it several time and the fish turn out fantastic! I omitted the savory and dill, however I added lots of fresh cracked pepper and more brown sugar to the top of the filets.

My advice would be to grill it over a wood fire (but no one ever listens to me when I say that :roll: ). Sprinkle with Old Bay and Paul P's Seafood Magic (about 1/2 & 1/2) then sauce with a 1/2 & 1/2 combo of SBR's and honey. It's great. ;)

That does sound good Chris and I'd do it but for one thing.........I only go grocery shopping once a week and that was today! lol I don't have the Old Bay and have never heard of Paul P's Seafood Magic. I did look at Old Bay in the store and debated getting it. lol I do have some SBR but no honey. I forgot to pick up some more honey since I wasn't really expecting to need it this week, it wasn't on my list. I probably wouldn't have gotten the salmon but it was only $1!! lol They are discontinuing it so I got a great deal.

Larry, that looks great! I don't have the savory (not even certain what it is) so will omit that. I don't have cracked pepper either but can substitute regular black pepper. I know it's not as strong but maybe it'll work?

Thank you Nick! That's pretty much the same thing Larry posted, just without all the added details.

Thank all of you very much!!!!

allie

All of the brines will work. The important thing, as the others have said, is that you must filet the fish. Then smoke the two separate filets skin side down the whole time--no flipping.

Griff

Hey Allie..dont be putting no dead fish in a perfectly good smoker. Done Salmon for the warden about 5 years ago..Fred still stinks like a dead fish on a hot day. Get you a dedicated pit for such stinky stuff as fish..possums..coon..sheep...collared peccaries etc. I got a januine NB universal water smoker which inhabits the backyard and is reserved for just such occasions as you are anticipating. Them fillets got skin on one side by any chance? If so this is gonna be easy peasy. If not...we gonna have to work around it. Tell me whut you think. Thanks.

bigwheel

Right now it's still a whole salmon so yes, it has skin. If there's a chance the smell will get in the pit or in the other food, I'm cooking then maybe I shouldn't smoke it. Les despises salmon and the smell makes him nauseous! I don't want to cook it all up and then have him not want to eat it!!

Help me out here!!

allie said:
Les despises salmon and the smell makes him nauseous!

I agree with Less, nothing worse than a stinky pink salmon, much less having to eat it!

If you're concerned about the smell staying with the pit you could do two things. Grill it as Finney stated, or after you smoke it on the pit do a high temp burn after the salmon is done and wipe the inside clean with fresh oil or lard.

I might be better off to hold it until we get the grill burner fixed. lol Les will have a fit if his food or the pit smells like salmon. I love it and so do the kids but he's a picky one when it comes to fish.

Darn, I was looking forward to it! Oh well, I can always fillet it and stick it in the oven....but then the house will smell like salmon!

allie said:
I don't think he'd care for that smelling fishy either. lol

[smilie=eek2.gif] [smilie=eek2.gif] [smilie=eek2.gif] [smilie=eek2.gif] [smilie=eek2.gif]

brian j said:
back on topic... i've cooked salmon in my grill and my smoker with no lingering fish smell.

same here, no problems either way. last time was in such a hurry I just shook up a good margarita and marinated in the vac container while the coals got glowing. turned out great

I think I'll cook the other food first and then put it on there. I'll probably put a baking sheet wrapped in foil under it so the juices don't drip down into the smoker. That "should" help!

Back
Top Bottom