Advice please!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
My pit doesnt have any lingering smell either. But, I put a small aluminum foil pan under the fish first. That may be why.

allie said:
My questions are how long should I expect it to take if I keep the smoker around 200 degrees? Never having smoked salmon before, I am completely clueless on what to do with it!!

Any helpful advice appreciated!!!

Thanks!
filet it as others have said, I would prolly cook it by itself instead of with the other things ... how long? it depends what you are looking for... just cooked or salmon jerky? ... if you want it quite dry that much salmon could take 6+ hours at 200F ... if you want it moist, just cooked, you would be better off cooking it hotter and faster.... it could be done as quick as 15 minutes over a hot grill

hope this helps

oh, and I've never had a problem with lingering fish wsmell in the WSM either

Well I would feed it to the cat and go buy yourself some canned salmon and make salmon patties rolled in yellow cornmeal and fried in Crisco. Now this is a meal fittin for a king. That the only way anybody from Texas eat stuff like that. Few fried tates..fried Okry and some pintos with cornbread. You be squatting in tall cotton so to speak. That should work.

bigwheel

BW, I make awesome salmon patties using canned salmon, corn meal, eggs, and a little flour. Never any leftovers of those at my house.

I am wanting to try the salmon with a smoky flavor. Getting a whole salmon for $1 I could not pass up the chance! Shawn, yes I'm wanting it just cooked. I am going to cook everything else and throw it on at the last right beside the hot firebox and moreso grill than smoke it. That worked pretty well on hamburgers and pork chops.

allie said:
BW, I make awesome salmon patties using canned salmon, corn meal, eggs, and a little flour. Never any leftovers of those at my house.

I am wanting to try the salmon with a smoky flavor. Getting a whole salmon for $1 I could not pass up the chance! Shawn, yes I'm wanting it just cooked. I am going to cook everything else and throw it on at the last right beside the hot firebox and moreso grill than smoke it. That worked pretty well on hamburgers and pork chops.
sounds good, let us know how you make out

For serving hot I like it 'just' cooked. For cold eating of smoked salmon (not Lox, yuck) it like to dry it out some so it becomes really firm. I've typically thrown a piece of filet on for like 3-4 hours in the 225F - 250F zone.

Cream cheese, smoked peppery salmon and a roasted garlic clove on a cracker is pretty tasty.

Here are the finished pics. I didn't have time to brine the salmon so just used Wolfe Rub. The chicken was brined in apple cider and then rubbed with Famous Dave's Chicken seasoning. The fatty was stuffed with mozarella cheese and rubbed with Wolfe rub. It cooked a bit too long. I was only able to find Royal Oak 100% Natural Wood Charcoal. That stuff is crap!! A total waste of money! I have never seen charcoal turn to ash so quickly. I have a feeling cooking may be over till spring as Walmart and Home Depot only had Matchlight and other instant light charcoals. GRRRR!!!

img_68893_0_e2d6b52da709b599334f116f07f89665.jpg

img_68893_1_23d030b6e2c6c8214180aa6665c0b862.jpg

img_68893_2_23efa7b81e4275c3b599316621109136.jpg

img_68893_3_6dcd42cf706526c7742e2587d4511877.jpg
[/img]

I lit it and when I went back out, it was nothing but ashes and had fell through the grates so I had to start over again. I checked it within 20 minutes. I had an awful time keeping it up to temp and even getting it up to 200 or over because it was just burning so quickly. I'll definitely stick with regular ole charcoal in the future. It might work great for a wsm but mine is a Brinkman Smokin Pit Pro.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom