advice, opinions in competition cooking

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jminion1

Sous Chef
If cookin spares I use 3 + hours to get color and some pull back on the bones, then into foil just long enough to tenderize (45 min to an hour). Then back on the grill long enogh for the glaze to set. 3-2-1 is to generic to trusted come out every time.

I don't foil butt until it goes into the rest in a dry cooler.

On the butts cook one wrapped (160 is fine on time to wrap)...and one nekked till each hit around 200...then wrap the nekked one and throw it in the hot box for an hour or two or three along with other one which should already be in there. Mix em 50/50 when its time to push and pull. If you got a big butt just split it. Cook the bone side as the nekked portion..that way you know when its done without messing with a gauge cuz the bone come out real easy..but suspect you prob already knowed that so thats why I didnt mention it. If your cooking comp use mainly outside meat. That old wet Mrs. White do not impress Judges..leastways not Texas Judges. Now they make like it up in some of them yankee states. I aint sure about that. Thanks.

bigwheel

BigE. I am with everyone else on this one. I usually go 2.5 hours in ths smoke then foil for around an hour then finish them in the smoker out of the foil with the temps down. Got 5th in Snow shoe doing that.

WalterSC said:
Ok whats the BIG deal with using foil when doing BBQ , mine turn out just right without it, but I am willing to learn something new ???

Paul Kirk calls it the Texas Crutch. If it's coming out fine without it don't change a thing. I'm not a big fan. It mushes up the bark in my opinion. What I do like about it though is it allows me to collect any dripings from the brisket and butts.

Back
Top Bottom