Adding sauce to chopped Q

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chiles

Senior Cook
The feedback I have been getting on my Q is all over the place. Some like pulled, some like chopped. Some like sauce, some not. I'm looking for a good rule of thumb here....

So far, a select few have asked for a red peppar vinegar sauce for me to add after chopping. What do you guys do when you serve yours? Any ideas for a good vinegar based sauce and how much to add and when?

Chiles
Always learning

buddy, you ain't never gonna be able to please everyone
in the bbq world. From pulled, chopped, minced, to 5 different
sauce styles, to slaw styles, etc, there's just too many
variables and everyone is set in their ways and think
their way is the only way. I rough chop mine with a light
vinegar pepper sauce added in, and serve 2 or 3 sauce options
on the side.

Guess I have to side in with da Cap'n on this one least as it applies to pushed pork. I personally prefer it mo chopped than shredded. Now chopped brisket be a whole nother ball game..best left at simply moistened with left over defatted brisket juice..then let the folks sauce it or dont sauce it to suit themselves.

bigwheel

I inject with the following sauce and sprinkle a little while pulling the butt. Other sauces are on the side.

Smokin Okie's Pulled Pork Baste & Serving Sauce (makes about 5 cups)

4 cups apple juice
1/2 cup Worcestershire sauce
4 tablespoons cider vinegar
2 tablespoon dry mustard
4 tablespoon brown sugar
3 bay leaf
6 cloves of garlic
2 teaspoon ground ginger
1 teaspoon cayenne (I sometimes use Hungarian Paprika)
1/2 teaspoon ground cloves (the secret ingredient)

Heat all of the ingredients in a non reactive pan (the acid in the vinegar will react with some pans be careful) Bring it to a boil, reduce and simmer for 15 min. I make extra and put it in the fridge and it should last for a couple of months.

Just as was stated before there are lots of differing opinions. I prefer a lighter sweeter glaze type of sauce on my pork vs vinegar. Chopped or pulled.

I always season my pulled or chopped pork with a salt/peppers mix and a little rejuvination juice to keep the pork moist. Pork sitting in a pan over a heat source can be trickey. ;)

Good Q!

Jack

Back
Top Bottom