A question about maintaining cooking temps

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
bigwheel said:
Can't actually recall any total disasters that I have had. Sure you can say the same.
bigwheel

I've had my share of disasters. For the most part they involved the grill and not the smoker. Think tall flames and sooty, oily smoke.

Well I had one big grease fire in the offset where the temp plumb pegged out the 700 degree gauge...which out of 10 briskets only one which was closest to the firebox and the fire got a little too crunchy. It was still edible enough for me but the warden nagged about it so seems like I gave it to a yankee at work. It was of course the best he ever had. Now I have grease fires on the gasser fairly frequent but I just turn off the burners and let the grease be the heat source. Saves money on propane in the long run.

bigwheel

I cant believe no one mentioned it, but we need to see pics of the finished product here to verify the cook ! We'll let it slide this time, but in the future, no pics = no cook ! ;)

Newbies Wife said:
We took the ribs off about 15 minutes ago. Now they are wrapped in foil and resting comfortably. Looks like we maintained a temp of 265 or so. I won't tell you how warm the day has been (I'm trying to stay on your good sides), but let's just say it was warm enough to keep the cooking temp constant. I'll let you know the final outcome.

Thanks for all your help.

.....we're waaaaaaaiiiittiiiinnnngggg ;) ;) :LOL:

Griff said:
bigwheel said:
Can't actually recall any total disasters that I have had. Sure you can say the same.
bigwheel

I've had my share of disasters. For the most part they involved the grill and not the smoker. Think tall flames and sooty, oily smoke.

Yeah? I'd guess alcohol was a leading factor! :LOL:

Nick Prochilo said:
Griff said:
bigwheel said:
bigwheel

Yeah? I'd guess alcohol was a leading factor! :LOL:

Soooo, what's your point? :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

It looks like you're getting the hang of it. ;)

That's not to say you shouldn't keep practicing... any excuse to cook more ribs!

Ribs look good, although I'd try cutting them down to St. Louis style. I usually cut them like that then smoke the whole thing. The tips are good to munch on while you let the ribs rest.

Griff said:
bigwheel said:
bigwheel

Ribs look great. Welcome to the forum. Sign over your life in pursuit of knowlege and making better BBQ.

Thanks for the spelling tip. I just call him the Govenator. As for disasters, Amy Googled some words that included: ribs taste like tires, too much hickory, etc. and it came back 'oversmoked'. So I learned to only use 1/2 bag of hickory chunks instead of a whole bag. :shock:

Back
Top Bottom