A noob and his Prime Rib roast....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hogdady

Cook
Mrs Hogdady is asking for a prime rib roast for Christmas. I have a 22' weber grille. Can any of you offer suggestions/techniques for me to pull this off? :prayer:

I like to cook mine like this,

If there are bones almost cut them off and retie them to the roast.This makes slicing the roast easier. Season with Montreal Steak Seasoning. Set up grill for indirect cooking and place roast indirect until an internal temp of around 105*. Ramp up temp on the grill and sear all sides and pull the roast off at 125* internal. Let it rest 15-20 minutes before slicing.

Vermins cooking technique is right on. Make sure you like the flavor of the Montreal Seasoning, I find it overpowering. I prefer just salt, pepper, onion and garlic powder.

I did one last year for xmas eve. Planning on doing it again this year. Im also a fan of salt, pepper and garlic only. I also do the little slices in the roast and stuff cloves of garlic in.

I'm weighing in in favor of the Montreal seasoning. I like to rub it with Worcestershire and then hit it with the Montreal. We also like to get a fresh horseradish root and grind it the morning of the cook. It'll improve the health of your sinuses. Sometimes I decide to go with with just salt, pepper and granulated garlic. If I do that way a hit with more garlic a couple times during the cook.

V9 got it!! I put on EVOO frist and sear first but it don't make much differance. He is spot on on the 125. It'll climb to 135 while it rests. Oh and don't forget a drip pan to make you some Au Jus!

My crew is more into steaks than roasts so when I happen to get hold of a whole bone in rib eye (choice grade minimum) I either have the butcher turn it into a boneless model..or do it myself..and cut the meat into steaks for the grill as thick as you like and save the ribs to cook another day. Works better for us like that than cooking the thing whole. Guess its just one of them personal preference type deals.

bigwheel

I say go with the Prochilo/Pen method. Tough to go wrong with this cut though. Good luck!

HELLYEA!!! They all sound good! I'm a fan of Montreal seasoning so that's a fo' sure. I'm lickin' my lips already...thx all for the input!
:weedman:

Sounds like you may be afflicted with the munchies mi amgio. I just finished 14 tuna fish sandwiches and a big bag of chips along with half a jar of bread n butter pickles. Course I am a rotund chubby boy so that just a normal old meal for me. If you get my drift..wink wink:) lol

bigwheel

bigwheel said:
Sounds like you may be afflicted with the munchies mi amgio. I just finished 14 tuna fish sandwiches and a big bag of chips along with half a jar of bread n butter pickles. Course I am a rotund chubby boy so that just a normal old meal for me. If you get my drift..wink wink:) lol

bigwheel

Everything is bigger in Texas! :mrgreen:

Vermin999 said:

If there are bones almost cut them off and retie them to the roast.This makes slicing the roast easier. Season with Montreal Steak Seasoning. Set up grill for indirect cooking and place roast indirect until an internal temp of around 105*. Ramp up temp on the grill and sear all sides and pull the roast off at 125* internal. Let it rest 15-20 minutes before slicing.

Can you help me understand better how to address the bones?

Hogdady said:
Vermin999 said:

Can you help me understand better how to address the bones?

I'm not the original poster but I would cut the bones off and tie them back on with twine.

In the last 15 minutes pull the bones off and put some of your favorite sauce on and grill them for a few minutes....chef gets the bones!

Okay so my noobness is embarassingly obvious, but I'm not gettin' the cutting off of the bones and why I would want to grill them....

I recently put a rib roast on medium-low. I rubbed it with a spice rub I had, threw a thermometer in it, set it for medium rare, and turned it after 1.5 hours. It was one of the most spectacular pieces I've ever done. It was the size of a roaster chicken.

Very happy to say that the roast and au jus came out perfect. Went with the Montreal seasoning with a little garlic powder. 10 lb roast on the weber @ 350 with a little hickory smoke and 3 hours later...

Thx for all the help!

bigwheel said:
Sounds mighty good. How did you handle the additonal au jus scenario?

bigwheel

roast drippings, beef broth, worchester sauce and lots of beer (for the cook)......the au jus was great thx to all the help from BBQ Central!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom