A Couple Gobblers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RDOwens

Assistant Cook
The other day I smoked a couple turkeys. They had been in an apple-honey brine for about 14 hours prior to that. Just thought I would share.

5190664447_a662f7a7da.jpg

Looks good. Do it breastes down next and repoat back with the results of whichaway was best. Thanks.

bigwheel

In the past I have done breast side down, but have found I like the look of the birds better breast side up. As for taste, I have not seen a difference. I do ice the breasts for 20-30 minutes prior to putting on the WSM.

The brine I use is this one.

Unfortunately, there were no sandwiches for me. These two birds were for my wife's classroom party. All I received other than a few bites while I carved them were a couple compliments from her students' parents.

Ahh ok you is cooking for purty...my mistake. I always aimed to try Alton Brown's method of the little tinfoil shield for the breastes sometime but never quite got a round to it. Smart thinking on the ice.

bigwheel

RDOwens said:
In the past I have done breast side down, but have found I like the look of the birds better breast side up. As for taste, I have not seen a difference. I do ice the breasts for 20-30 minutes prior to putting on the WSM.
BW this is the type of result you can get by using the ice method

Cappy had done one of these but I couldn't find the link

Now that is mighty cute. I never could afford any ice but cooked em sitting up like little soldiers for years. Actually aint a bad way to do it. The heat coming up from the bottom spanks em on the coola muy bueno and not on the chi chis too much. It would take a real prevert to come up with that particular artistic design. Good job Cappy.

bigwheel

Back
Top Bottom