A Canadian Bacon!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hillbilly1

Sous Chef
Local store had pork loin on sale, got me a right nice 8 pounder.

img_178871_0_42834208f388a7e2cf47e139d6e99ee5.jpg

Trimmed an ready fer the brine.

img_178871_1_3f3e5076ab794fcd6e55c8481b25d379.jpg

In the brine bucket, like them shorter buckets, got this one from the baker, had cake icin in it. Took in some goodies the next trip, wanna keep on the good side a folk like that! We shall see what we get in bout 7 days!

Used my Slaughterhouse Canadian Bacon brine an added in 1/3 Cup a honey an 1 tsp a honey powder! Sure do smell good.

Slaughter House Canadian Bacon

Pork Loin - Trimmed of fat.
3/4 Tbl Morton's Tender Quick per pound of loin ( ya can use 1 Tbl ifin ya feel the need)
1/4 C Dark Brown Sugar
1 tsp Cayenne Pepper
1 Tbl Jalepeno Seasoning
1 Tbl Onion Powder
1 Tbl Garlic Powder
2 Gal Water (less ifin ya don't need that much, just besure the loin is covered)

Taday I added:
1/3 C honey
1 tsp Honey Powder

Brine fer 5 days, cut in half an see ifin ya got real good penetration, if not back inta the brine fer another day er two. Ya can also inject inta the middle with the brine solution an let it work both ways to.

Rinse off, slice a piece an fry, ifin to salty, soak in water fer bout 2 hours changin the water ever 30 minutes. Pull outa the water, pat dry an set it in the ice box fer a couple hours ta form the coatin.

Now smoke ta an internal of bout 165*, I use Maple fer this.

Let cool, slice an enjoy!

Sounds plausible there Hilly Billy..thanks for sharing. Now I do all my brining it tall kitchen trash bags. It dont require any steeken buckets..now them icing buckets do come in in handy for wine making. Kroger bakery is usually a real good resouce. Not sure why them canadians eat different bacon from us eh?

bigwheel

Hey DAT's..great advice on shooting it up. Now I been turning this brine thing over in my haid. If we gonna do 1 3/4 T. per lb of meat then dump on two gallons of water..I dont think that is gonna qualify as a brine since anything less than a cup o salt per gallon is generally cosidered a salt water soak. Somebody clear up my thinking here. Thanks.

bigwheel

It actually be called a wet cure, that be the amount a TQ (1 Tbl) Mortons recommends per pound a meat. I don't inject unless I be in a hurry, cause the time it takes ta cure works out from weekend ta weekend, thus I start on a friday er saturday an smoke the followin friday er saturday!

How many times have you made this recipe and it turned out too salty??

Inquiring minds and all that.

It reads good, I think I'll give it a go. Next time I go to "Slams" I'm gonna get a whole loin. Might just pick up some chuck too.

Good Q!

Jack

I've made several of em, the first was way to salty, adjustments made ta the recipe, last one was perfect, thus no changes, we shall see ifin this one is just as good, see no reason it shouldn't be.

Last batch just got a nice rinse in cold water, patted dry an set in the fridge fer awhile ta develope the coatin.

my last brine finally didn't come out too salty for me, thanks
to Scotty reminding me to double rinse and soak.

Injecting brine seems awfully scary to me, but I don't know
much about brines.

When I have done it, I just inject ta the point the meat swells a bit, pullin it back out slowly while I still keep injectin, usually manage ta shoot a fair amount round the kitchen cause tain't smart enough ta quit injectin when the needle comes out. Then move ta another spot an repeat, usually with the same results! It does cut back on the curin time a fair bit, but like I say, I don't inject very often cause it works out better fer my schedule.

Ahh ok..started to mention the term "wet cure" but thought betta of it. It still a little over my haid as to how an 8 lb loin could turn out too salty with 8 T. of TQ mixed in two gallons of water. Are you using the wet cure at room temp when you first start the process? If so they will surely contribute to the saltiness issue as will a lack of sweet in the wet cure to counteract the salt..but notice you got some sweet in there. Generally speaking whenever I am making a curing brine or a flavoring brine I will make sure to counteract the salt with the sweet at least on a 50/50 ratio and always start with a cold brine. I never fall below a cup of salt and a cup of sugar per gallon of water and don't pay much attention to the poundage of the meat as long as its fairly well covered. For example one gallon of brine is good for two chickens..one turkey..or one corned beef brisket. For a curing brine I reduce the salt by half and sub out the missing salt with TQ. When I first started playing around with this recipe I went a little light on the TQ and some of the folks got a splotchy looking cure after 4 days so I have now upped it to the current level. I think it would work purty good on about any kind of curing need on large hunks of meat.

bigwheel

Hillbilly said:
It actually be called a wet cure, that be the amount a TQ (1 Tbl) Mortons recommends per pound a meat. I don't inject unless I be in a hurry, cause the time it takes ta cure works out from weekend ta weekend, thus I start on a friday er saturday an smoke the followin friday er saturday!

Bigwheel, sounds bout right, this recipe is bout perfect, not salty at all, some my first ones be like havin a salt lick in there, kept workin it till I come up with this. Wife is gotta watch her salt intake so anythin to salty an she tells me bout it!

I get my water good an hot, mix all the fixins in an dissolve, let it cool down ta room temp an then inta the ice box fer a bit, then add in the meat, I do all my curin at 38*. Anythin higher an ya risk spoilin, much lower then 36* an is slows the cure down an will evently stop it.

I got a icebox a my own, good thermostat on it, use it just fer my smokin goodies, an a occasional adult beverage ;) .

Momma an the fellers at work really like this canadian bacon, I ain't foolin with it much anymore. Maybe some honey, maybe some maple that sorta thin, but the cure part is just bout right.

Back
Top Bottom