8% Enhanced

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have 2 8% enhanced BB's and I'm brining both of them..if they turn out too salty I'll blame the wife. :LOL:

Bruce, do you plan on putting two 5 gal buckets in your fridge.

The other thing is that my two birds are rock hard sitting in the fridge. I am sure that they will still be hard tommorrow. I hope that they will thaw some once they hit the water.

JamesB said:
Turkey is the only thing that I actually prefer "factory enhanced". I will be cooking a bunch of turkeys for the holidays and there is no way I could brine them all safely, but the enhanced Butterballs come out pretty good.
I totally agree and do the same James! However as you well, know a brined fresh bird is far superior!

Bruce B said:
I have 2 8% enhanced BB's and I'm brining both of them..if they turn out too salty I'll blame the wife. :LOL:

Bruce, I wouldn't worry about them being too salty. The thing with 'brining' enhanced birds is it will work, but you do not get the full effect of the brine. The reason is the bird is already pumped full of water, so when you soak it in the brine, it will absorb some of the brine, but not what it would if it were a fresh natural bird. It will be fine though!

Cliff H. said:

The other thing is that my two birds are rock hard sitting in the fridge. I am sure that they will still be hard tommorrow. I hope that they will thaw some once they hit the water.

Bruce lives in Michigan, chances are Puff stole his refridgerator. If this is the case, it's cold enough up there to keep the buckets outside, but they too have a chance of Puff stealing them!

Cliff, put the WRAPPED turkeys in a clean sink or bucket full of cold water. Change the water every thirty minutes for 3-4 hours and your turkeys will be thawed.

I have 2 -12lb 8% enhanced birds...they always turn out great...no need for brine in my opinion unless you want to! :D

Cliff H. said:

Cliff; I bought some ZipLock XL bags and will put the turkey and the brine in them and then into either my big cooler or two separate coolers and then pack ice around the bags and place it in the garage. It's going to be around 38 here tonight so it will be cold enough as long as I place ice around the bags.

I always am undecided on what to do. The only time I brined, it was a 3% enhanced and it turned out only ok. There was a lot of flavors in the brine.

I am not so much worried about the birds taking on flavor as I am about the birds being juicy.

Well I be forced to agree with Greg on this one. Aint no point it brining one which has already been brined..pumped..enhanced at the factory. A double pump along with a salty rub can push them over the edge of being too salty. If you want em juicy cook em breastes down and dont spill the juice which accumulates in the gut cavity i.e. on top of the breastes as viewed from inside the turkey. Simple huh?

bigwheel

Cliff H. said:
I always am undecided on what to do. The only time I brined, it was a 3% enhanced and it turned out only ok. There was a lot of flavors in the brine..

This is what I mean an enhanced bird can't absorb alot of the brine.

Cliff H. said:
I am not so much worried about the birds taking on flavor as I am about the birds being juicy.

Cliff, brining does not guarantee a juicy bird, but does give room for error. The only way you can foolproof a turkey is to NOT OVERCOOK. If you cook low and slow, pull the turkey when the breast hits 160º and the thighs are between 170º-175º. If you're cooking high heat 325º-350º, pull when the breast hits 155º, to allow for carryover heat/cooking. Brined or not, this will give you a juicy bird.

Well once the brine falls below one cup o salt per gallon o water don't believe it is considered a brine any longer. Salt water soak perhaps? Old fashioned test for a brine was whether or not it would float a raw chicken egg..still in the shell of course. That be a strong brine I think. Weak brine is one cup per gallon and should be offset with at least an equal amount of sugar or equivalent sweet stuff..honey..mollases...syrup etc.

bigwheel

bigwheel said:
Well once the brine falls below one cup o salt per gallon o water don't believe it is considered a brine any longer. Salt water soak perhaps? Old fashioned test for a brine was whether or not it would float a raw chicken egg..still in the shell of course.

bigwheel

I agree!

Now I have heard of some enhanced ladies supposed to smell and look real good. Now whut percentage enhancement they flaunting I aint quite sure. Reckon somewhere in the two digit range? .09 perhaps? Thats two digits ya know?

bigwheel

Good point Griff. Might I suggest a sub forum on here which only allowed the rambling of drunk folks?

bigwheel

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom