4th of July Ribs.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

thereeper

Assistant Cook
4th of July ribs, smoked 3 hours, wrapped in foil 2 hours, then 1 last hour back on the smoker, they were fall of the bone tender, [attachment=]010.JPG[/attachment]

Fine looking bones. Now I always heard pellet poopers did not need foil. What is up with that?

Thank you for the comments, Lets see on the spice rub, kosher salt, paprika, pepper, chile powder, garlic, cumin cayenne, just mixed those spices, in a bowl then removed the membrane then rub them down on both sides, with about a 1/2 cup of the spice rub, so they were evenly coated. then let them rest for 20 minutes, as I got my pellet popper up to temp. Used apple pellets, brought the smoker up to 225 degrees, then put the slabs on meat side up.for the first 3 hours, turned my treager ellite down to smoke and closed it up. At 3 hours, took the ribs, off, and prepared the foil mix. Here is where the foil comes, in. you take 1/4 cup of your spice rub add 1/2 cup brown sugar, and blend that together. lay out a sheet of foil, for each rack and sprinkle the foil mix in the shape of your slab, on each piece of foil. then on the foil mix that you just laid down, take 3-4 table spoons, of honey and drizzle it over the foil mixture for each slab. and 2-3 lines, of squeeze bottle margarine over the foil mix and honey. Then 2-3 table spoons of apple juice, lay a slab meat side down on the mixture,then take 1 more table spoon of the dry foil mix, 1 table spoon of honey and a couple more lines of squeeze margarine on the bone side. then make a foil packet out of the foil your slab is laying on, making sure that the packet is sealed, all the way around no leaks, then back on the smoker at 225 for 2 hours, that foil mixture is like steaming the slab only in a foiled packet. after the 2 hours, check each slab for the meat pull back, if not done enough reseal and put back on the smoker, another 15-30 minutes or until done. then remove the slabs from the smoker. drain off liquid. Then if you want to put a glaze on them I use a home made BBQ sauce and brush it on the ribs, and then loosely tent the foil of the slabs, and let rest for 10-15 minutes, and serve. I didn't glaze this 2 slabs, because some of the grand kids, don't like the extra sauce so I just serve it on the side for those that want it. But the 2 hours in the foil just adds, some moisture, back in, and usually finishes them off good. but you could skip that part, if your using a water bowl. on a wood burner. there you have the spice rub and the use of the foil, on the pellet popper. and with out the glaze, so you can see the deep penetration of the smoke, and they were fall of the bone, tender. and wouldn't you know it I got one rib out of the whole bunch, I cooked four slabs total, So come on people, as the unofficial official taste tester, I'm not gettin any fatter thats for sure. Thank again and if you want the exact measurements, for the receipt just ask and I'll post it. under receipts.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom