3rd times a charm

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Puff1

Chef Extraordinaire
Put a 7lb flat on at 6am Puff time. This will be my 3rd try at brisket. 1st one wasn't bad, 2nd one the dog wouldn't eat.
Smoking it with apple, black cherry, & a little hickory.
Putting a fatty on for breakfast. also going to try Rev. Marvin's sauce later on some wings.
I think BBQ is the only thing that would drag my ass out of bed at 5am on my only day off :shock:

Puff,

Pay attention...1. Fat side down. 2. Foil at 165° with some beef broth mixed with a little BBQ sauce 3. Off the smoker at 195° and into pre-warmed cooler, fat side up for at least 2 hours, 4 is better. DONE !!!!

Trust me on this.

AL

Larry Wolfe said:
[quote="Uncle Al":1ucvvnmf]Puff,

Pay attention...1. Fat side down. 2. Foil at 165° with some beef broth mixed with a little BBQ sauce 3. Off the smoker at 195° and into pre-warmed cooler, fat side up for at least 2 hours, 4 is better. DONE !!!!

Trust me on this.

AL
[smilie=new_silly.gif][/quote:1ucvvnmf]

[smilie=a_takethatfoo.gif] to you too !!!!

Larry Wolfe said:
[quote="Uncle Al":2rgqs4le][quote="Larry Wolfe":2rgqs4le][quote="Uncle Al":2rgqs4le]Puff,

Trust me on this.

AL
[smilie=new_silly.gif][/quote:2rgqs4le]

[smilie=a_takethatfoo.gif] to you too !!!![/quote:2rgqs4le]

Just joshing ya Al! Both ways work, I just prefer fat up![/quote:2rgqs4le]

Larry,

I know you are. I prefer fat down for the obviuos reason of protecting the meat from the heat below. ( I use a guru so no water in the pan) but moreover I like having access to the naked side of the brisket for adding additional flavor enhancements during the cook.

Al

Uncle Al said:
[quote="Larry Wolfe":3t547noc][quote="Uncle Al":3t547noc][quote="Larry Wolfe":3t547noc][quote="Uncle Al":3t547noc]Puff,

Trust me on this.

AL
[smilie=new_silly.gif][/quote:3t547noc]

[smilie=a_takethatfoo.gif] to you too !!!![/quote:3t547noc]

Just joshing ya Al! Both ways work, I just prefer fat up![/quote:3t547noc]

Larry,

I know you are. I prefer fat down for the obviuos reason of protecting the meat from the heat below. ( I use a guru so water in the pan) but moreover I like having access to the naked side of the brisket for adding additional flavor enhancements during the cook.

Al[/quote:3t547noc]
That's a smart fellow right there.

I started it fat side down so the rub would set in good and not drip off. It's now fat side up, I'm going to foil I have some fresh apple cider, I might throw a little of that in.
It seems to me the fat would stop alot of the rub flavor penetraiting the meat.

Larry Wolfe said:
It kinda does, I think that's what Al was referring too. But think about it, the rub really only flavors the outside of the meat "bark". But the fat adds the wonderful natural flavor of the beef. If it's fat side down you're losing all the nice fat flavor as it renders. Fat up self bastes.

Like I said before, both ways work. I just prefer FSU.

That's a smart fellow right there.

O.K Larry here we go....What part of the brisket gets basted with the fat side up ???? The top doesn't count so that leaves the edges 'cause the fat doesn't migrate to the bottom side. The fat doesn't penetrate the meat as it cooks, in fact the fat that is marbled thru ought the meat renders OUT. So what good is fat side up ??

Just a friendly discussion not a war O.K. ??

Al

brian j said:
ahh, brisket debates... nothing fires up the peoples like foil/no foil and fat side up or down. :LOL:

the way i learned it from jim minion is that the melting fat does not penitrate the meat and that you sould cook fat side down in a wsm to protect the meat. i've been cooking packers like this for over 2 years now and haven't had a bad one yet.

when i was cooking briskets on an offset i flipped them on the halfs and mopped. now i just put them in fat side down and don't open the lid until the thermometer is on the north side of 180. 8)

Jim Minion's a hack... he stole my "Finney Fire UP" and renamed it the "Menion Method". Brother. :roll:

Back
Top Bottom