2nd Brisket!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Morning gents, me and the wife had the day off so I figured why not try a brisket again.

My first one was okay, got a little intoxicated last time I did one, but not today. :)

Im gonna use the mop sauce that Mr. Bigwheel supplied, it taste good right out the pot.

Brisket
img_206525_0_a6a30220e87d273b502b3c4af7b50473.jpg

Chimney goin with some Harris Teeter lump on the ole Char Griller
img_206525_1_79c8f5cb0e637d46b6a7a33a53d6b4d3.jpg

My elcheapo wanna be Maverick
img_206525_2_84f9bc9380af6df740354557c0ffce86.jpg

What temp do yall recomend foiling? I was gonna foil around 170

Sounds good to me on the 170-180 or since you cooking a flat a lot of folks just go by time. General rule is 3 and 3..speaking hours out and in the foil here. Can be varied an hour any whichaway if you got a big one..cant keep the heat up etc. Before you wrap it be sure to fling out a handful of rub and half a handful of brown sugar onto the foil and lay the brisket on there meat side down. Take the hot mop and pour about a cup of it on the brisket turning up the edges of the foil so to make a little dam on all sides. Then snug it up good. Dont drown in no..just moisten it up a little. Cook till it passes the poke test. That should work.

bigwheel

You can foil anytime after 140* in my opinion. On brisket I like to wrap at about 160*. I wrap first in saran wrap and then foil. I think it helps keep all the moisture in. I cook between 225-250*. Flats usually take me about 10 hours on average. Have fun today! :D

So this flat cooked extremely fast, put it on at 8 am, foiled it when it hit 170, then i went inside for bout 15 minutes came back out and it was at 200.That was around 12:00 or before. So I pulled it let it rest for about 30, then cut, it had a real good flavor but it was tough. Any ideas to what I did wrong? Kinda depressing but I aint giving up until I get it right so I can do the comps. Oh well gonna eat on this all day. Camera died before I could get any sliced pics.

img_206544_0_3b8218829a1a0276ecad67884f6e765a.jpg

Well yeppers I've knowed folks who wrap it after an hour in the smoke but whut you get on that deal is a bunch of grease which that thang will puke up and poach itself in the foil with the grease as the medium. I like to cough most of the grease out of em before wrapping. It do not bother me in the least to wrap a well trimmed packer at 190. If you can hear them sizzling in the foil that is a clue they are cooking themselves in brisket fat. Which aint the tastiest substance around in that particular situation anyway. A good sop/mop taste much mo betta than brisket fat.

bigwheel

Well I dont recall hearing anything about a "poke test" on this deal. Temps is nice but they have to be coupled with the poke test. This be especially true if you shooting it up with stuff. For example have had some FAB infused models which refushed to die and give up till they got around 210. You cant get fooled by a poke test unless the poker is real drunk. The poke test is accomplished by use of an el cheapo Wally World instant read heat gauge. When you poke it into the middle of the flat and accidentally goes through both sides of the foil and hits the bottom of the pit..thats a clue it has passed.

bigwheel

I didn't really do the poke test, i just saw the thermometer at 200, so i went ahead and pulled for fear of it being overdone, just surprised me how quick it cooked, but it does have a real good flavor. It aint super tough, better than my last one, just was hoping it would be more tender.

What temp did you cook at?

I also agree with the poke test being the most accurate. Temp is a guage. Start checking for tenderness at about 185* and every 5* until you poke it and it goes in like a hot knife thru butter.

Looks pretty darn good from where I'm sitting though!

Lookin' good Shores :D
I haven't had much luck with
brisket yet :oops:
Ms Bluzue thinks I ought
to give it up.....but that's not an
option
:P

8)

BluzQue said:
Lookin' good Shores :D
I haven't had much luck with
brisket yet :oops:
Ms Bluzue thinks I ought
to give it up.....but that's not an
option
:P

8)

BluzQue, the props go to 0341SteelRain on this cook.

Don't give up yet! Keep giving it the 'ol college try! ;)

Wheres the next picture? You ate it before you took one didn't you. Personally, and I am not professional cook by any means, is that 250 is to high to cook anything for 10 hours or more. When I am paying attention I seem to get results closer to what I like around 190 -200ish. But that may just be me. Internal temps around 160 -190 and not charred on the outside.

Yours looks great!

Shores said:
What temp did you cook at?

I also agree with the poke test being the most accurate. Temp is a guage. Start checking for tenderness at about 185* and every 5* until you poke it and it goes in like a hot knife thru butter.

Looks pretty darn good from where I'm sitting though!

It cooked at 250, I do rely on therms way to much, will do the poke test next time.

Big Wheel has the true knowledge kinda' stuff that good smoked briskets come from.
Looked great!

bknox said:
Wheres the next picture? You ate it before you took one didn't you. Personally, and I am not professional cook by any means, is that 250 is to high to cook anything for 10 hours or more. When I am paying attention I seem to get results closer to what I like around 190 -200ish. But that may just be me. Internal temps around 160 -190 and not charred on the outside.

Yours looks great!

Bryan are you saying you would run your pit temperature at 190° - 200° for a big cook like a brisket or pork butt? I am going to do a brisket when I get my nerve up and I'm gathering technique.

Back
Top Bottom