23 lbs Raw Whole Ham

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
If it's a leg, it comes from the rear leg of the pig. The shoulder comes from the front. It sure is a big piece of meat. Weekend, let us know how it comes out. I see those things in the supermarket around here all the time and would love to do one. Keep the pics coming also!

That is a ham just not cured the way most would find one. You handle it like like a butt or picnic, your looking at a 18 to 24 hour cook.
Jim

DAMN!! :eek: :eek: Good luck on the cook...And, I really like that little red kettle in the corner! :(

Yeah, it'll work either way. Try to monitor how fast temps are rising after the first 8 to 10 hours. Remember, the ham is from the back leg, and will have less internal fat than a shoulder. Don't expect as long of a plateau.

Looks like a nice one.

I usually do fresh hams at a higher temp after a couple days brining and a paste rub; 300-350, and pull them at 150 internal, like you might with a pork loin. They're favorites.

Good luck with your cook.

It's based on an old Chris Schlesinger one I think. Anyway, the brine is

4 qts of water
1 c turbinado
1 c kosher
1 T whole cloves
1 T whole green peppercorns
1/2 a nutmeg grated or use 2 tsp already ground

Bring half the water to a boil with the spices. Stir in the sugar and salt till dissolved. Remove from heat. Mix in the other water. Cool. Add the fresh ham to the brine adding more water if needed to cover it. Brine 1- 3 days, stirring oocasionally.

Paste rub--

3/4 c Cholula (or Tabasco or similar)
3 T minced garlic
2 T brown sugar
1 T dryr fresh thyme
1 1/2 T cumin
1 1/2 ground black pepper
1 T coriander
1 t ground allspice
generous pinch salt

Drain ham; rinse briefly; dry. Apply paste. I crank my kettle or WSM to hit 350 or higher, put in the ham on and close vents some allowing the ham to cook higher as the temp drops to 300 or so. Most often I use citrus wood since I have lots of it.

I pull at 150 internal.

:eek:fftop:
K Kruger said:
... Cholula
You had me right there: However ...
:rant:
I take offense to ... to ... the "(or Tabasco or similar)" part! I'm a HUGE Cholula spokesperson for it being an "every day" MILD type of Hot Sauce and it should be used in all possible situations! There is no substitute for it's flavor!
For those who don't know what it is... well, you haven't Googled enough! Find it, Use it, Live it, Love it !
Did I just say that? I'm a feak... Shut Up !
Ahem... Sorry.... We now return you to your previously interesting thread....

Just kidding Kevin. :!: :(

ScottyDaQ said:
K Kruger said:
... Cholula
You had me right there: However ...
:rant:
I take offense to ... to ... the "(or Tabasco or similar)" part!
I stuck the 'Tabasco or similar' part in because--strange as it seems(!)--Cholula is not available in lots of places in this country. Believe me, I drive 170,000 miles/year. I carry a few bottles with me because I can't always find it and I cook all over the place so....

I love the stuff. (I figgered you were just kidding.)

Man Weekend that looks good enough to eat already!!! Please post some sliced pic's of that Leg! Thanks for all the pic's already, can't wait to see the rest!

but would it be in the Mexican food aisle??
Likely; it's made in Mexico. That's where it is in the stores I buy it in. The bottle is similar to a Tabasco bottle but it has a round wood cap.

Meat looks great so far.

Damn, that looks great! :( It's a 7 hour drive...Can you guys wait??? :eek:

:!:

Back
Top Bottom