1st time Smoked Turkey

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AndyW

Assistant Cook
I'm planning on smoking a turkey this weekend on my WSM 22.

Any tips? What kind of turkey? Brine? Rub?

Thanks!

Fresh turkey ... No solution added! (check the label!) 12-18 lbs work best.
Brine definitely ... (I like a fruity acid brine) ... The one I use is attached.
Rub ... Personally, I don't use rub the outside. It can burn and make it look unappealing. Many times the skin of smoked turkey will be rubbery and not edible, so it's kind of a waste. You can however, use rub in a compound butter and rub that in the inside cavity and under the skin on the breasts and legs.

Buy one which is pumped to the gills. Marinate it overnight in a big jug of Kraft 7 Seas Viva Eyetalian Dressing. Next day Rub it down over and under the skin with Paul Purdhommes Poultry Magic for chicken and equal part good brand lemon peppa. Cook it breastes down at around 300 till it hits 175 in the thigh. That will be a grand prize winner. Do not poke holes in the breastes or spill the juices which accumulate inside of it. It also dont hurt to chew up the poultry magic a bit in the spice grinder. It looks like it has grass in it.

Nick is correct. Also I never smoke a turkey low. It's rubbery, Yuck. I've had much luck letten the Kettle rip at 425 for about 2.5 When it's done the kettle will be about 325. You'll have krispy skin and moist tender meat. You can add some fruit wood like cherry but not too much and not too strong or you'll have some realy pink meat with black sking tasting very pungent. Put about 3/4 of a pound of butter under and over your skin too. You can mix herbs and spices to the butter first.

Back
Top Bottom