1st attempt at smoked pork shoulder

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
If you cook a pork button fat side down, you will find a treasure suspended right in the fat cap. It is a bunch of strands of the best stuff on the whole shoulder.

2iaeobb.jpg

A lot of different views on how to cook a butt, I'll add another. Use your remote thermometer till the butt hits 190. Then take the probe or a wooden skewer and poke all areas of the butt to check for tenderness. If what your using goes in with no resistance your butt is done. If not cook it longer. I have had some butts finish at 190 and have had others go over 200 degrees before they were done. Go by feel not by temperature when cooking pork butts!!!

*Just reread this post and Max already posted on this subject*

Last edited:
Well, that turned out better than I expected!!!

Started the smoke at 4:30 AM, and finished at 2:00 PM. Avg. smoker temp was about 250, and the shoulder was at 207. I used only hickory wood. As well, I trimmed off the skin and discarded it (I know I'll probably get yelled at for that), but there was still a goodly amount of fat left. Pictures will be posted later!

Sounds great. Think you are going to have a pullable picnic. Hey V I use the same technique which I was taught is called the "poke test." I use my little Walmart Instant gauge with big numbers and small probe as the poker instrument. Works well. I may have to try the wood skewer some time just to compare the two.

As promised...some pictures:

img_263634_0_abf2229e30aecd4fbd6fc324a433f561.jpg

img_263634_1_9e177ddd079839876f66a73218d98c89.jpg

img_263634_2_fef3c2df94730bbe7ce9067512c9ebf8.jpg

img_263634_3_e5a63dc2e4ff6382ebeeda8087c1eeeb.jpg

IMHO, not too bad for my first pork shoulder!

And yes, bigwheel, it was QUITE pullable! Bones came out real easy - no effort required!

Ok now you've done it! Now you are going to have to cook Q for everyone from now on.
Way to Giterdone!
Word will spread, requests will be made, people will look up to you and say " oh please, can we have just a little bit more"

Congratulations I only wish I could have been there to sample.

Ok now you've done it! Now you are going to have to cook Q for everyone from now on.
Way to Giterdone!
Word will spread, requests will be made, people will look up to you and say " oh please, can we have just a little bit more"

Congratulations I only wish I could have been there to sample.

When I did spare ribs last summer for a group picnic, they were gone in just a few minutes. And that was 4 racks worth!!! People were floored and telling me I can be the group pitmaster from now on! One just recently asked me for the rub recipe I use.

As some of the elder kin was sometimes fond of saying in a philosophical tone and with a bit of Old Crow on the breath..."Son..in the land of the blind..the one eyed man is King." Yeppers..your going to be very popular and famous no doubt.

Hooooooooolllllld Up there B-Dub lets not get ahead of ourselves.... I would like to see how the boy does with a brisket......

But will BuffaloBBQ accept the challange?

That ECB can handle a whopper sized brisket. Just scrunch it up enough to get the lid on it and let it cook to fit.

Not to mention, when it starts to absorb the heat the meat will shrink up some. You should be good with a 14 pounder or so.

Back
Top Bottom