1 for 2 for the season

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ratman

Cook
Okay, I finally had a decent weekend to try my new Traeger pellet grill. Did a turkey breast yesterday that came out awesome. Cooked on medium for 2 hrs, smoked for 2 hrs and medium again for the last hour.

Did some baby back ribs today and came out disappointed. Let them marinade in apple juice overnight. Smoked for 2 hrs, foil on meduim for 1 and than meduim 1 without. Meat was very tough. Had to use a knife to cut them up. They weren't burnt though. Oh well, have to take it as a lesson learned and live with the growing pains. :-(

hmmm...those times are pretty much right on for bb's. I use the rib tug method to determine doneness....now if it's not tender enough, I just refoil and go some more.

I wonder if cooking on a pellet grill if there's some difference in cook time than you guys using WSM's and pits.

Ratman said:
I wonder if cooking on a pellet grill if there's some difference in cook time than you guys using WSM's and pits.

Rat,
If you are cooking at the same temps we are, it won't make a difference what yer cooking on. I do have one question, have you calibrated your thermometers? I've had cooks turn out awful and have found my therms were off. Just a thought!

Ratman try smoke setting first for a couple of hours then move up to med, I find I get better smokering and smoke flavor that way.
Jim

They were tough like underdone. Actually, the old lady threw them in the oven last night and they came out great.

I believe it was the temps and not long enough on the grill at those temps.

Back
Top Bottom