Bigwheels's Prize Wininng Cheesey Jap Sausage Version 2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
G

I would recomend using a scale, you can get a good electronic scale at Bed,Bath and Beyond for about 25-30 bucks. You'd be suprised at how often you start using it. Grinding your own meat and making sausage can be as addicting as BBQ. I even started grinding my own hamburger! If you grind your own burger, try putting some pork fat in there, it's good!

One note on grinding meat here. Keep it AS COLD AS POSSIBLE! I can't stress that enough. If you don't keep the meat cold enough the fat will just mash up instead of being cut in little peices and you won't like the final texture. What I do is this. I cube up the meat, then chill it in the freezer, not to frozen, just to get a good chill on it. Then I do a course grind, add the spices and chill it again. Then I fine grind, chill again, and stuff. If I don't stuff I don't chill the 3rd time.

Anyway, back to the brats, these are kinda spicey, so feel free to play with the hot ingriedients, less or more depending on how hot you like it . I like to use natural hog casings for this, just stuff it and twist when it's about the right length for brats, about 8 to twelve inches, depending on how big you like your sausage

This stuff is going fast, I need to make more pretty soon, can't wait!

*Bigwheels's Prize Wininng Cheesey Jap Sausage Version 2
*(With some help from Papa Robert and DRPacker
18 lbs. boneless pork butt
2 lbs fresh japs seeded and blanched
1 lb Kraft super hi-melt Old English Cheddar Cheese
1/2 cup chopped fresh garlic from the jar
3 T. granulated garlic
7 T. Tender Quick
3 T. black pepper
4 T. white pepper
3 T. cayenne pepper
2 T. brown sugar
3 ground bay leaves (grind with the black pepper)
3 T. parsley
6 T. hungarian paprika
1 T. basil leaves
2 T. dried parsley
1 T. hab powder
7 oz beer (Michelobe Ultra belonging to the warden)
12 oz sprite
12 oz water

Run japs and cheese through coarse plate and set aside. Mix all other
ingredients with the the liquids and refrigerate while you cut the meat to fit the grinder. Dump spiced liquid over the meat mix well and grind on the fine plate. Add japs and cheeese to the meat and mix well..and mix some more. Stuff into med hog guts.

Back
Top Bottom