xmass hams 08

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wittdog

Master Chef
They are calling for a big snow storm today (JB around here that means at least a foot of snow not that little bit of slush you guys got)…but…my xmass hams are coming out of the brine this am….they are going to spend a little time in the fridge to dry…then into the smokehouse at 5 pm for a 12 hr drying cycle at 120*…then when I wake in the am…8 hrs of smoke…hickory/sugar maple and a touch of cherry….I’ve got two 20lb hams…one of which is going to the guy that built my smokehouse…

I’ll update as the hams are going thru the process….

wittdog said:
…one of which is going to the guy that built my smokehouse…

I’ll update as the hams are going thru the process….

A Christmas ham for the helper is a good idea. Lookin' forward to the updates.

Just put the hams in the smokehouse the temp is 26* outside and 20mph winds…. http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/fin ... uery=14224
I worked last night and took a little nap this morning…we got about a foot of snow…rather then shovel the driveway….the Mrs. shoveled a path to the smokehouse…..I love that women

As for the smokehouse..its been cold and windy all day and the temp has been rock solid…a little helpful hint for those that don’t know…when there is this much of a temp difference its important to preheat the smokehouse….for a couple of reasons….the obvious is will take longer to get up to temp with 40lbs of ham in it…the other is so you can take care of the condensation that forms while its heating…its very difficult to form the pellicle if the smokehouse is real moist inside…

The smokehouse ready to go…

Hanging hams

No peaking for 12 hours

First day of vacation and I’m up at 5:30 am to smoke some hams…The hams are nice and dry to the touch…the smokehouse held a great temp all night long…and its time to start smoking them…

wittdog said:
Just put the hams in the smokehouse the temp is 26* outside and 20mph winds…. http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/fin ... uery=14224
I worked last night and took a little nap this morning…we got about a foot of snow…rather then shovel the driveway….the Mrs. shoveled a path to the smokehouse…..I love that women
As for the smokehouse..its been cold and windy all day and the temp has been rock solid…a little helpful hint for those that don’t know…when there is this much of a temp difference its important to preheat the smokehouse….for a couple of reasons….the obvious is will take longer to get up to temp with 40lbs of ham in it…the other is so you can take care of the condensation that forms while its heating…its very difficult to form the pellicle if the smokehouse is real moist inside…

The smokehouse ready to go…

Hanging hams

No peaking for 12 hours

Yeah, and you probably bitched and yelled at her for NOT shoveling the drive. :roll:

Poor girl. She can permanently attach you to your mattress via a knife to the throat and we'd testify it was justifiable. ;)

Its 12*F outside….and the smokehouse is working like a charm..no temp issues with the outside temp so cold….The hams have been in the smoke for about 4 hrs…they are starting to take on some color..

wittdog said:
First day of vacation and I’m up at 5:30 am to smoke some hams…The hams are nice and dry to the touch…the smokehouse held a great temp all night long…and its time to start smoking them…

Of course he forgot to tell us that Lynn was up at 4:30am to shovel another path to the smokehouse so Davey Crockett here wouldn't get his deerskin moccasins wet, that he got when he shot the deer, skinned it, dried it and tanned the hide himself. :LOL: :LOL:

Where do you find raw hams? I asked the guy behind the meat case at the local super store for a raw ham and he just looked at me like I was crazy. Even getting hard to find non-enhanced butts. :cry:

Back
Top Bottom