xmass ham

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wittdog

Master Chef
I ordered my ham today....I'm going to cure it and then smoke it for Xmass...I'll keep you updated on the project...

Keep us posted, step by step.

BTW, I was at the grocery store the other day and I thought about you. The had samples of "Blueberry/Cinnamon" sausages. Not my favorite, but I remember you talking about making them.

Larry Wolfe said:
Keep us posted, step by step.

BTW, I was at the grocery store the other day and I thought about you. The had samples of "Blueberry/Cinnamon" sausages. Not my favorite, but I remember you talking about making them.

Was that the REAL reason you thought of him?? hmmmmm???? ;) :LOL:

I asked the local safeway meat guy if they had any fresh hams a couple of days ago. The reply was that all the meat safeway sells is fresh. I then asked if they had any raw hams. You guessed it. "All the meat is fresh, nothing stale or old"....... ..... ...... ...... I just walked away :roll:

DATsBBQ said:
I asked the local safeway meat guy if they had any fresh hams a couple of days ago. The reply was that all the meat safeway sells is fresh. I then asked if they had any raw hams. You guessed it. "All the meat is fresh, nothing stale or old"....... ..... ...... ...... I just walked away :roll:

LOL, sounds like the thin air effects too many people out that way Dats ;)

Well from whutever the proposition is proposed making your own cured ham aint a good idear. First of all it aint all that easy to find fresh hams as yall are figgering out..plust there is folks out there in the world who makes em cheaper than you can which is much mo betta that whut you got in mind. If you ever want the best ham in the world you need to take a trip Petit Jean Mountain in Arkieville. They got the best. Peppa cured is the only way to fly. Swear it would make a person commit a heinous crime to get a small piece of fat off one of them thangs.

https://www.petitjeanmeats.com/html/cus ... rvice.html

bigwheel

ps..I do not own any stock in this company but on the advice of Lady Bird Johnson and Dick Cheney I do have a little Halliburton. Thanks.

$71 and some change for a 12lb'er....they better be damned good.
That's without the shipping too.

DATsBBQ said:

I was in a Safeway about a year ago. Went to pick up some raw chicken to take home to grill. Picked up a pack and it was hot. So I went and rang the bell and the meat guy comes out. I said, "I think you have a problem with the coolers over there, the meat is literally hot and getting discolored". He said, "yeah, we're defrosting and cleaning the coolers". I had a basket of groceries that I left sitting there and left the store. I will never buy meat from Safeway again!

bigwheel said:
Well from whutever the proposition is proposed making your own cured ham aint a good idear. First of all it aint all that easy to find fresh hams as yall are figgering out..plust there is folks out there in the world who makes em cheaper than you can which is much mo betta that whut you got in mind.

BW,
Why isn't it a good idea? I've seen and have been fortunate enough to eat some of Dave's (Wittdog) products and I've gotta say, he knows what he's doing and the food was delicious. So just jumping the gun and saying that there's folk that can make them cheaper and better than him is an unfair assumption on your part. Maybe cheaper, but I haven't a clue, I've never cured a ham.

On the note about fresh hams being hard to find.......they're no harder to find than a lb of ground beef.

Little up just a little bud. Seems you always have a negative input towards every post. You are who you are and that's fine. Just be a little more positive please.

Happy Holidays BW! :D

bigwheel said:
Well from whutever the proposition is proposed making your own cured ham aint a good idear. First of all it aint all that easy to find fresh hams as yall are figgering out..plust there is folks out there in the world who makes em cheaper than you can which is much mo betta that whut you got in mind. If you ever want the best ham in the world you need to take a trip Petit Jean Mountain in Arkieville. They got the best. Peppa cured is the only way to fly. Swear it would make a person commit a heinous crime to get a small piece of fat off one of them thangs.

https://www.petitjeanmeats.com/html/cus ... rvice.html

bigwheel

ps..I do not own any stock in this company but on the advice of Lady Bird Johnson and Dick Cheney I do have a little Halliburton. Thanks.
Well BW I have to disagree with you....first it's pretty easy to find fresh hams...all I've had to do is to pick up the phone and place and order at my local BJ's...give them enough time and they will be happy to order one. Secondly as to price it's a lot cheaper for me to do my own then buying an already cured and smoked ham...I'll let you know what the cost per lb was...Third....I'd put my ham against any of the mass produced product that is out on the store shelves...and Fourth I enjoy doing this type of thing I will actually have some fat on the ham so I can makes some cracklings out of....can't say u can do that with the store bought type....
PS...I could make a killing selling hams for $71 I think I paid $1.17lb for the ham I did last year....and the ing for the cure is slight...some cure #1,salt, honey or smilar sweetner, and water and time....little bit of wood and some lectricity...
I would much rather pay $6lb plus S&H than make this at home for a fraction of the cost….(pics are of easter ham)

Peter...I pump thru the big vien then I also spray pump it all the way around I get the neddle as close to the bone as I can and let it sit in the cure for about a week. I've had good results doing it this way.

Well yeah Witt..that do look like you got a good ham strategy. I'm impressed. I keep forgetting yankees is not used to enduring a little chain yanking. I shoulda included a smiley. Now as the devil will disguise a pint of pizzen in a lake of truth...I am mo serious than a kanser about them Petit Jean Ham's. They mighty tasty. Got to try one if you aint never. We got kin in Arkieville who hands delivers them to us about every few years. They sent us a mail order sample pack last year and everything was excellent. Had a few slices of ham..sausage..weenies..baloney and bag o chili in there. Make a mighty nice Christmas give for somebody you know till you get fully ramped up in the ham bidness:) Now remember to shoot them arteries like Rytek taught us. Now I was also serious about it hard to find fresh hams down here. Ya know I believe a smart feller would just do picnics. Whutcha think?

bigwheel

I would imagine a picnic would work..don't know how the muscle structure of a picnic compares to a ham...not to mention the picnic would be smaller than a ham...and as far as the ol artery thing...it only makes sense that pumping the artery would be the quickest and most effecient way to brine a piece of meat....

Yeppers makes sense to me too on the artery deal..but dont think it would be much of issue on picnics. I got a theory that if a person treat em about like the brisket on the Pastrami...being very careful to inject in to and along side the bone..and add a little cinnamon and nutmeg and stuff like that to the outter coating..and maybe a few extry days in the brine..it would come out just fine.

bigwheel

bigwheel said:
Well yeah Witt..that do look like you got a good ham strategy. I'm impressed. I keep forgetting yankees is not used to enduring a little chain yanking. I shoulda included a smiley. Now as the devil will disguise a pint of pizzen in a lake of truth...I am mo serious than a kanser about them Petit Jean Ham's. They mighty tasty. Got to try one if you aint never. We got kin in Arkieville who hands delivers them to us about every few years. They sent us a mail order sample pack last year and everything was excellent. Had a few slices of ham..sausage..weenies..baloney and bag o chili in there. Make a mighty nice Christmas give for somebody you know till you get fully ramped up in the ham bidness:) Now remember to shoot them arteries like Rytek taught us. Now I was also serious about it hard to find fresh hams down here. Ya know I believe a smart feller would just do picnics. Whutcha think?

bigwheel

Why not fry a couple of turkey's?? :scratch sounds like the logical solution to me [smilie=a_chuckle.gif]

Well that outta work too. That satisfy all the health conscious yuppies. Smart thinking.

bighweel

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom