xmass ham

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Picked my ham up today…1.49lb, it was an 18lb ham removed the skin left lots of fat on it for the cracklings….My buddy help me mix the brine..and then I injected it 10% of it wt..it will stay in the brine for a week and then I will smoke it…
The ham ready to get skinned

First time using that injector….I love that thing…

Daddy’s helper mixing up the brine

bigwheel said:
That satisfy all the health conscious yuppies.
I keep wondering if I figure in BW's image of yuppies. :?

American Heritage Dictionary said:
yup·pie (yŭp'ē)
n. Informal.
A young city or suburban resident with a well-paid professional job and an affluent lifestyle.

[Y(OUNG) + U(RBAN) + P(ROFESSIONAL)]
I may be health-conscious, but I'm also 67 and retired, living on a civil service pension. No yuppie in my reckoning. :)

--John 8)
(Maybe "yuppie" is like "yankee" -- everybody outside TX.)

wittdog said:
Daddy’s helper mixing up the brine
Darn, Witt, you've got some good help! I can see that I should have trained my kids better before they got away from home. :D

--John 8)
(The most they got involved in my cooking was moaning about the stink when I cooked beer wort. ;) )

I got a great deal on the injector....it works real well...comes with two needles one that has holes all the way up...and you can dial the amount of injection you want anywhere from 1-5oz...It worked awsome..and my son had fun with it as well...

wittdog said:
I got a great deal on the injector....it works real well...comes with two needles one that has holes all the way up...and you can dial the amount of injection you want anywhere from 1-5oz...It worked awsome..and my son had fun with it as well...

The dog is mad as hell though! :LOL:

Looks like your off to a great start Dave! Can't wait to see the finished pics!

Looks great dog.....so what time is christmas dinner?? [smilie=a_whatsthatyasaysonny.gif] I figure if the weather ain't bad I can get a flight to your neck of the woods say dec. 24th...... :LOL:

I been using the plastic injector which come free and taped to the side of the Cajun Marinade stuff for about the past 10 years. Them things is tough. It also tough to skin raw hams. Next time cook it a few hours then skin it. It peel off like and widder lady taking off her slippers. Then you just rerub the wet spot. Save you and the little tyke an hour or two on the manuel labor deal.

bigwheel

Peter said:
Looks good dog. That injector must be a treat to use.
Peter with the toys you have I'm suprised you don't have an injector like that ;) ....It was very good to use it can't wait to inject something else with it....might be time to work on a pork injection...

I've got the ham stockenett soaking in a mix of vinegar and liquid smoke..
soaking the bag helps to prevent it from sticking and the LS helps with color where the netting will be...I'll be putting the ham in the smoker Thursday night.....

The ham is out of the brine, in a stockinet and in the smoker……it will be in the smoker for around12hrs_16hrs at 120*, then it will smoke for 8 hrs (4 pans of wood hickory and maybe some maple) and then I will finish it off without smoke..This is an 18lb ham I figure it will take about 36hrs all together. I will update this as often as I can but I also have some sausage to make just picked up another case of pork butts….I had to change plans I was going to hang the ham but its too big…as it cooks and shrinks I may try to hang it but for now it will go on the grate….

In the bag

In the smokehouse

Notice the color of the ham...and then see what it looks like during the smoking process...

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom