Wooden Smokehouse

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
To operate on 240 vac a conduit run could be made from the breaker box to the closest outside spot to mount a weathertite outlet box. From there a rubber coated cable with plugs could be run to the outhouse, ooops, smoker. The cable size will depend on the element load and the distance to be run. Using 240 cuts down on the size/cost needed.
Gas scares me, without safety shutdowns. McDonalds will be pissed if you blow Kielbasa all over their roof. :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

I like how he ties off his links. The andouile looked like it had ham chunks in it. Sorry to be off topic.

After consulting with various experts in various fields, HVAC, OSHA Safety, The folks at both the Sausgemaker and Allied Kenco, Appliance Repair people, and a few electricians….I’ve decided to go with the 5000Watt heating element and control panel from the Sausagemaker as the heat source for the Smokehouse…It will cost a little more but I believe the benefits will out way the costs.
I basically had 3 options…..The first was old school with a fire pit….as much as I would like to have gone this route …its just impractical at this time….
The second option was gas either to move the fryer out of the smokehouse or get the tested gas system from Allied Kenco or the Sausagemaker, or try to put together a similar system on my own….I was advised to by the owner of the Sausagemaker to stay away from Gas combustion can be a pain to deal with…and then I would also have to worry about running out…
Electric gives me the best control over temps and I won’t have to worry about running out of it…
Omnivore sent me this link to help in determining the amount of watts need to heat a shed or garage..

http://www.heatershop.com/btu_calculator.htm

And by comparing the elements in the commercially sold smokehouses to the size of mine…and taking in what the weather is like in the winter in Buffalo…I decided to go big…..another factor was speaking with an appliance repair man…he said I should have a fan to cool the element and help move the hot air in the smokehouse…it will prolong the life of the element…….The 5000w kit has such a fan…
JP is going to fab a smoke generator that will run on either electric or wood…..

Cool. Great calculator. Gas can be scary, and 5k watts is not outrageous.
It sucks to get hit with a cost bump at the end of a project, but you make a wise choice.

Mikey and me had a busy day..we got the smokehouse stained…I’m still waiting to do the electric….It should be done soon…

We got the “old school” component of the smokehouse hooked up today….This will be our smoke generator and if I have the time and desire I can use it to smoke old school…I’m still going to do the electric hook up that will be coming soon…We also installed the therm today…

Cold smokin looks like that dog will hunt... Git it dog... hunt?
witt dog hunt? .... Nawww
:LOL: :LOL:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom