Updated Pictures..Venison Sausage from the Charcuterie book.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cleglue

Head Chef
After reading Nick’s thread on making Soppressata and the recipe he posted for it I ordered the book…Charcuterie The Craft of Salting, Smoking, and Curing. It came in yesterday and last night I saw a recipe for Venison Sausage (Chef Milos’s County Venison Sausage) page 157. I had some venison in the refrigerator and I figured I’d give it a try. I had time to get it ground and stuffed but I’ll have to smoke it starting Friday night. This is the first time not smoking sausage right away so I hope this is okay. Has anyone smoked their sausage at a later time? I have it sitting in the refrigerator.

Since the recipe only was for 5 pounds of sausage I used the Kitchen Aide grinding attachment…now I know why I bought the 1/3 horsepower one from the Bass Pro Shop.

Here are the beginning pictures. I’ll post the results after I smoke them.

The CLEANUP done!

Nick,

The stuffer is a LEM 11 pound stuffer I bought a few years ago at the Bass Pro Shop. It holds alot of meat.

I want to make some of that Soppressata. I need to check the temperature and humidity in my basement.

Yes I got them smoked. One gone and three left. I'll try and get a picture a post. I'm making pralines tonight and just cleaned up four steaks to age until Thursday.

I don't know why the outer meat was tough but once past that the sausage actually was pretty good. The outer meat may have gotten tough because of waiting two days before smoking.

Well I dont have the book so aint sure whut kinda stuff the fella is promoting. If it has cure in it letting it rest at least over night uncovered with an occasional shuffle to let the the links get plenty of air is the only way to fly. Allows the cure to work etc. Most tough cases problemos is caused by coooking it too fast/hot. Doubt seriously if letting it cure right is the root source of the trouble. Just guessing of course. I dont eat much Eyetalian food cept for Chef Bar R Dee Raviolis from the can. Now I got some meatballs which knock off your knickers.

bigwheel

Here are the Pralines...I know nothing to do with sausage making but since I was taken pictures of the sausage I figured I'd take a picture of the homemade Nawlin Pralines (prawleens).

bigwheel...the casings weren't tough but the outer part of the meat. I've made venison sausage before but just not this recipe. Thanks.

That looks great cleglue! I've got a chunk of venison in the freezer and the same book upstairs in my living room so you got me thinking!

Ok...if the meat was tough there wasnt enough fat in it. Was it sorta rubbery by any chance? Thats a clue.

bigwheel

Back
Top Bottom