Sausage Casings?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
DeWied is a very respectable place as far as I know. Have used a lot of their home pack sized guts. Seems like they are located in San Antone. Believe that is the brand Joe Ames sells through mailorder. That is also the brand offered by Central Market which is the only place I know to buy them local.

bigwheel

Peter said:
My local butcher here in northern Canada buys casings from a company in Texas by the name of DeWied. He says he can't find this quality anywhere else.
Anyone have any experience with them?

http://www.dewied.com/

If they bust open alot while stuffing, they're "bad".
If they bust open only a few times, they're "par"
If they never bust, they're "good".
:D 8) ;)

They are also good if you open the pack and give it sniff it dont smell like something has died down in there. Uniform lenths is nice and also consistent diameter. I have got some packs of guts which I believe had sheep guts mixed in with it. You got some strands 10 feet long and some 2 feet long. Now this is one of the home packs which come dry salted and will do 25 lbs supposedly. The commercial sized wet brine hanks is for the birds in my book. Trying to get them things untangled is like trying to use Saran wrap outside on a windy day. You always got leftovers and they leak in the ice box and the warden nags..shudder.

bigwheel

Hey Chuck..thanks for the input. I tangled with a few of them commercial hanks in my day and it looked like the 3 Stooges hanging wall paper..just to give you a mental pitcher. Knew somebody smarter than me prob knew how to do it right. Sounds like you be da man:) I used my scissors a lot during that phase. Now you doing a hundred lbs at a time infrequently I would say this endeavor involves something to do with the slaying of Bambi's Mama and such thangs..sniff sniff. Now am I hot or cold here? Thanks.

bigwheel

Back
Top Bottom