Pickled Sausage

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Puff1

Chef Extraordinaire
I've had these Soaking since Saturday.
Thanks for the recipe Diva Q. I used the Polish sausage I made insted of beef sausage. They made my face scrunch up when I tried them, just like at the store. I think next time I'll add a little heat to them. My Daughter thought it was Easter because of the red eggs :D

SteerCrazy said:
I thought I had to adjust the color on my screen but just realized you pickled the sausage! :LOL:
:roll: Scroll up to just above my first post :LOL: ;)

Puff,

Is the recipe on the forum? Looks good. Also are the sausages smoked or cooked before you pickle them or is the pickling process also the cooking process? I've never pickled sausage.

cleglue said:
Puff,

Is the recipe on the forum? Looks good. Also are the sausages smoked or cooked before you pickle them or is the pickling process also the cooking process? I've never pickled sausage.
The recipe is in the "Looking for a recipe" section.
The recipe called for smoked beef sausage. I boiled the pork sausage I made and added the vinegar mixture to it. I'm still kind of confused as far as the pickling process myself.
Can the jar be left out or should it be kept in the fridge?
You see them left out at the store and/or pub.

I have no clue myself on leaving them out or in the refrigerator. I would probably leave them out myself. As a kid we ate pickled onions (my dad would make them or we'd buy them from Mr. Henry the local bar owner in our neighborhood) and we left them out. They didn't last long though. Usually stuff with vinegar I leave out.

cleglue said:
I have no clue myself on leaving them out or in the refrigerator. I would probably leave them out myself. As a kid we ate pickled onions (my dad would make them or we'd buy them from Mr. Henry the local bar owner in our neighborhood) and we left them out. They didn't last long though. Usually stuff with vinegar I leave out.
I made the pickled onions before and I left them out. Just something about leaving meat out(vinegar or not) just doesn't sit right with me.
It does seem that room temp would help with the pickling process though.
I'll leave them out and see what happens.
Thanks Cleglue ;)

wittdog said:
Looks good Puff....I think I'm going to try that next time I make some sausage...
Hey Dog what's the scoop on the in the fridge or out thing? Any ideas?

I go along with the vinegar thing...I dont' think it needs to be in the fridge...I know when my granpa would take me to the oldfashioned ginmills it was out behind the bar....a lot of times things don't need to be in the fridge..they just tell you to put it in cuz most people go into the fridge more than a cupboard...I would keep the jar out of sunlight

Wow Puff. Those look really good. I'm impressed. Making sausage, pickling sausage. Next thing you're gonna be shamelessly hawking rub.

Griff

Puff you can make the Polish Sausage hot just by adding some cayannee pepper and some pepper flakes to the basic ing.....that would make some good pickled sausage.

The pickled sausage needs some heat for sure.
I left the jar out and ate one. I'm not sick yet.
I wonder if they even have to be cooked before you start soaking them?

Back
Top Bottom