Noobs stuffing guts

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Oz

Senior Cook
Made 16 lb. of Brats ( Bass Pro LEM brand who knows how old seasoning) this weekend. Everything ran smoothly and the goods turned out great. We did a coarse grind, mixed in the seasoning, fine ground, and stuffed 35mm natural casings. The sausage all that you guys said. Witt and BigWheel, thanks for your great posts. My buddy and I turned this out like a couple of pro's. Next on the list is some Italian that our boy's (26y & 27y) insist on working on. BW, you're hotlinks are next in line.
All is good in S. Fla.

Glad to hear it turned out good for ya. Seems hard to recall much if any ho made sausage which was not superior to it's storebought counterpart.

bigwheel

Picture out next time. Just got "the book" , Soy protein, #1 cure and a kit of italian from Sausagemaker. Hotlinks next.
One question: Natural casings - are their good or bad brands? What should we be looking for when purchasing?
We bought some LEM 32-35mm packed in salt. Only had 1 tear in 15lb. Is that normal?

Casings are pretty much casings...sometimes you'll get a bad batch..ie to thick or to thin..you just have to adjust how you stuff them. One tear in 15lbs good job.

Soaked as per directions on package. Man, those things are a B#"tch to get started on the tube. Any tricks other than KY :)

Little PAM or cooking oil applied to the stuffing horn helps. Trick I learnt from Joe Ames is after you get them soaked/rinsed ect. store the guts in a mason jar filled with white vinegar..lid on the jar of course and into the ice box. If you have left over guts just strip/sling the water out of em and into the jar they go. Add mo vinegar as needed. They will last for years. Makes them slicker than snot for some reason. Improves the busting problemo..preserves them well...kills out a bit of the hawg smell etc. The slickness do make them a bit harder to handle. Nearly have to use a paper towel or clean dish towel to be able to get enough grip on em to get them on the horn..also makes it hard to tie a knot cuz it just slip loose if you aint careful. If you tie with cotton twine that solves the knotting problemo.

bigwheel

Oz said:
Soaked as per directions on package. Man, those things are a B#"tch to get started on the tube. Any tricks other than KY :)

Yea, I load the stuffing tube in the bowl that I have the Casings soaking in. They go right on. A atomizer bottle with water helps too.

Pigs

Did soak the casings and used pam on the tube. I guess that's the deal.
Boneless Pork Butts down here are up to 1.58/lb. at Sam's and 1.38/lb. at Restaurant Depot. That is the most I have seen Butts going for. Have prices risen elsewhere?

Dave, did that also. I guess we did things correctly. Now we can get on with it!
Thanks for the help.

Sometimes they are just a pain the @$$. Sounds like you are doing well. Keep up the good work but we need some pics.

That sounds fairly reasonable on the price as compared to Foat Wuth. Would say the everyday prices would be similar. I start buying when they hit .99 which happens a few times a year. Sysco Foods has or maybe had a good deal for the sausage making crowd. Case weighs 60 lbs and consists of a 3 pack of cryoed boneless butts packed 2 to the bag. Which means you have 3 20 pound wads of meat. Comes froze solid. Seems like it was around 1.60 last I bought. Worked great for me cuz I like 20 pound batches. Have done 40 a time or two and it aint no fun..there aint no room to put stuff in the ice box blah blah blah.

bigwheel

Oz said:
Did soak the casings and used pam on the tube. I guess that's the deal.
Boneless Pork Butts down here are up to 1.58/lb. at Sam's and 1.38/lb. at Restaurant Depot. That is the most I have seen Butts going for. Have prices risen elsewhere?

We did 16lbs. for our first batch. I must agree 20lbs. of meat tends to be max when trying to cool.

Awww shucks..thanks. Blush blush. Course it take a near genius to know another one when they seen it so guess that means you are one too. Congrats. Now the fella making the sausage also rank right up there. Sounds like a fine batch.

bigwheel

Back
Top Bottom