Kielbasa

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Nick Prochilo

Chef Extraordinaire
Okay, here is my first ever attempt at making sausage. Dave has been guiding me through the process. I did get way nervous this morning when I read that stuffing with a grinder was caca. But by that time I had no choice but to finish up. I had already cut, ground and mixed the meat, all that was left was stuffing. I ended up making 10 lbs. of fresh kielbasa.

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/nprochilo ... r=/31e9re2

I had no trouble using the grinder to stuff, but it was only 10 lbs. I'm sure if it was a larger batch, a sausage stuffer would have been the way to go. I did also stuff alone but again with a small batch it wasn't a problem. I did have the casings tear twice, but I just twisted it off at that point and made another link. I did need one large lonk for my mom, she swears it taste better like that. I made most grilling size, which is how I like them. All in all it was a fun morning doing it and next up is gonna be Italian sausage. Dave, thanks for all of your help!

Looks great Nick. When are you going to smoke 'em?

Good job. Never would have known it was your first time.

wittdog said:
Nice job Nick..glad I was able to helpout...Did you learn anything your first go around?
Yeah, listen to Dave, he da man! Your advise on soaking the casings for a few days really helped. Keep your meat as cold as possible. Don't rush, take your time!

Captain Morgan said:
when you cooking the first ones? Maybe tonight? (with pics?)

Tomorrow I'm having these for dinner. Tonight is bc chicken & chuckies!

Nick Prochilo said:
wittdog said:
Nice job Nick..glad I was able to helpout...Did you learn anything your first go around?
Yeah, listen to Dave, he da man! Your advise on soaking the casings for a few days really helped. Keep your meat as cold as possible. Don't rush, take your time!

[quote="Captain Morgan":dvrqodev]when you cooking the first ones? Maybe tonight? (with pics?)

Tomorrow I'm having these for dinner. Tonight is bc chicken & chuckies![/quote:dvrqodev]
I'm glad you learned from my mistakes.... :D
Sausage and Eggs for breakfast...

Well that does look like a good operation. Congrats. Now I only got a coupla questions. Why dont a person mix the seasoning afore grind number 1...(looks like it would disperse it mo betta dont it?) And whut size plate did you grind it with on round one..and whut did you use in place of the plate or maybe a mo bigga plate on the stuffing cycle? I am trying to figger out how to grind and stuff on one fell swoop but my auger do not seem to want to forcefully ecject small stuff enough to make it stuff. Do you see whut I mean here?

bigwheel

bigwheel said:
Well that does look like a good operation. Congrats. Now I only got a coupla questions. Why dont a person mix the seasoning afore grind number 1...(looks like it would disperse it mo betta dont it?) And whut size plate did you grind it with on round one..and whut did you use in place of the plate or maybe a mo bigga plate on the stuffing cycle? I am trying to figger out how to grind and stuff on one fell swoop but my auger do not seem to want to forcefully ecject small stuff enough to make it stuff. Do you see whut I mean here?

bigwheel

Big W.
I only ground it once, and I used a 1/4" plate. I thought about mixing the seasoning before hand and have read many recipes that call for that but I didn't do it like that. On the stuffing cycle, the grinder I used has a spacer that goes inplace of the plate to take up the slack, then the stuffing tube over that. My grinder wasn't pushing the meat through hard on the stuffing cycle, it came through at an even pace so it was easily stuffed by one person.

bigwheel said:
Ok think I gotcha here. I gonna need a spacer plate. Thanks.

bighwheel
I don't know if they sell a spacer small enough for the Kitchen Aid Attachement.....the kichen Aid size is smaller than the dedicated grinders...

I stuff with the grinder. Course plate during the intial grind and again the stuffing cycle. The small plate just gets clogged almost immediately. Guess I should buy a medium plate, but that fance $90 electric grinder is on my xmas list.... .

Captain Morgan said:
when you cooking the first ones? Maybe tonight? (with pics?)

Cappy, here you go, cooked pics.
Cooked!

Plated

Tasted great, just like the ones my mom gets! They were real juicy also!

Back
Top Bottom