Kielbasa

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Alright, I don't want to sound like Finney but the Kielbasa I get at the store is reddish brown color and your kielbasa had no color. I am guessing they pump colorings in the store bought stuff???

Puff said:
Looks great Nick!
Were those the casings I sent you?
Yeah Puff, I only used about 1/2 of them, maybe a little less. I have the rest packed for the next venture, Italian sausage.

Man's Best Friend BBQ said:
Alright, I don't want to sound like Finney but the Kielbasa I get at the store is reddish brown color and your kielbasa had no color. I am guessing they pump colorings in the store bought stuff???

MBF, What you see in the store are smoked, these are fresh, much different taste.

Nick Prochilo said:
Puff said:
Looks great Nick!
Yeah Puff, I only used about 1/2 of them, maybe a little less. I have the rest packed for the next venture, Italian sausage.

[quote="Man's Best Friend BBQ":3la1t4o5]Alright, I don't want to sound like Finney but the Kielbasa I get at the store is reddish brown color and your kielbasa had no color. I am guessing they pump colorings in the store bought stuff???

MBF, What you see in the store are smoked, these are fresh, much different taste.[/quote:3la1t4o5]

Got it...I'm guessin you boiled em??

Man's Best Friend BBQ said:
[quote="Nick Prochilo":jof4g5hp]
Puff said:
Looks great Nick!

[quote="Man's Best Friend BBQ":jof4g5hp]Alright, I don't want to sound like Finney but the Kielbasa I get at the store is reddish brown color and your kielbasa had no color. I am guessing they pump colorings in the store bought stuff???

MBF, What you see in the store are smoked, these are fresh, much different taste.[/quote:jof4g5hp]

Got it...I'm guessin you boiled em??[/quote:jof4g5hp]
Yuppers, sure did! That's the way my mom makes them all the time. I've got a couple ready (Foodsaved) that are perfect size for the grill!

Puff said:
Glad they worked for you :D
Looked awesome!

What about the hat? :LOL:

I wore it making the sausage. It worked great, perfect size. How did you know?

Nick Prochilo said:
[quote="Man's Best Friend BBQ":1nnilph0][quote="Nick Prochilo":1nnilph0]
Puff said:
Looks great Nick!

[quote="Man's Best Friend BBQ":1nnilph0]Alright, I don't want to sound like Finney but the Kielbasa I get at the store is reddish brown color and your kielbasa had no color. I am guessing they pump colorings in the store bought stuff???

MBF, What you see in the store are smoked, these are fresh, much different taste.[/quote:1nnilph0]

Got it...I'm guessin you boiled em??[/quote:1nnilph0]
Yuppers, sure did! That's the way my mom makes them all the time. I've got a couple ready (Foodsaved) that are perfect size for the grill!

Puff said:
Glad they worked for you :D
Looked awesome!

What about the hat? :LOL:

I wore it making the sausage. It worked great, perfect size. How did you know?[/quote:1nnilph0]
The casings or the hat?? :LOL:

Nick the sausage looks great…nice and moist…great job….are you going to do more than 10lbs next time?

MBF this is what homemade smoked sausage looks like
plateofsmokedpolishsausage4pu.jpg

Nick, I ask again...was it worth the time and effort? I'm interested in the idea of custom flavoring my sausages, cause I have fairly bizarre tastes,
but it seems like a lot of work.

Cappy you can always cheat by having the store grind the meat for you...that will decrease the amount of work.....its almost more work cleaning up then actually stuffing...thats why I tend to make bigger batches and then vac pac it....

wittdog said:
Nick the sausage looks great…nice and moist…great job….are you going to do more than 10lbs next time?
I'm gonna stick with 10 lb batches for now. I'm going to experiment with different flavors and different styles so no sense screwing up a big batch.

Captain Morgan said:
Nick, I ask again...was it worth the time and effort? I'm interested in the idea of custom flavoring my sausages, cause I have fairly bizarre tastes,
but it seems like a lot of work.

I enjoyed every minute of it. I spent all day cooking Sunday, did the sausage, couple of bc chicks, a couple of chuckies. I was all cleaned up with everything, all cooking and all by 3:00 PM. I started around 9:00 AM. Grinding the sausage meat (10 lbs.) took all of 10 or 15 minutes. Stuffing took about 1 hour. I definitly think it was worth the time and effort. I'm already planning new tastes in my head!

Nice

I'm a kielbasi maker Nick, and I must say, you did a fine job!
I'm also a restaurant chef, so presentation on the plate is the half, All and all the judges say ... 9.8 9.8 9.4 9.7 9.8 :LOL:
Northsmoke Connecticut

Re: Nice

Northsmoke said:
I'm a kielbasi maker Nick, and I must say, you did a fine job!
I'm also a restaurant chef, so presentation on the plate is the half, All and all the judges say ... 9.8 9.8 9.4 9.7 9.8 :LOL:
Northsmoke Connecticut
What restaurant do you serve your "chefly" goodies at?

Back
Top Bottom