Jerky Time

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wittdog

Master Chef
I’m getting ready to put that smokehouse to good use….I picked up a 15lb bottom round roast…and it’s jerky time…

All leaned out

Ready for the marinade

Waste

Ok I’ve got the smokehouse up to temp….in my initial trial runs..I’ve had a hard time getting it up past 120* but I really haven’t’ had time to experiment…today I built a huge fire in the fire box 3 big logs and a couple of chuncks of wood….It’s roaring now..and I’m at temp..

I turned the damper down half

Greg Rempe said:
What about a gas burner in the house for heat?
That was covered early in the thread....and was determined to be a possibilty of an explosion without the right safe guards...
I tried the burner in the box with the lighter pipe and it didnt' give off enough BTUs

Dave if you shorten that duct work/smoke transfer piping you'll get more heat with less fuel. also them 2 90s are a restiction to the air flow/convection

First of all, as good as the jerky looks, the QC Dept has some concerns. 'D' is telling you something straight from the shoulder and Mike looks like he's ready to unload. :LOL: :LOL:
JB is right on the 90* bends. I know from dust collection in my wood shop that 90*s, 45*s and flex piping kills flow. Electric is not "old school", but a muffin fan in the dampered exhaust stack, or maybe in the cook chamber to stir the heat.
I'm not much help here.
Did you ever try the hot plate thingy?

As far as the heat thing...I think it just takes a long time to get to temp...once its there it stays and it recovers well...
I'm still going to go with the lectric heat element

Man, each piece of your jerky is like a meal! I guess that's how it works when you do 15-lb batches! :shock:

--John
(2-1/2 lbs is my biggie so far. :roll: BTW, looks good. :) )

Back
Top Bottom