Jerky

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I like this seasoning alot..Byan if you can find it pick it up...it's real good stuff..except they dont' have a holiday special ;)

wittdog said:
I like this seasoning alot..Byan if you can find it pick it up...it's real good stuff..except they dont' have a holiday special ;)

Then they suck!

wittdog said:
p1010019is1.jpg

Now I'm taking pics of my seasonings....Help me please

LMAO... :LOL: ;) [smilie=a_help.gif]

brian j said:
[quote="Bryan S":3icqi4cn]Question about slicing the meat. IIRC on the Good Eats episode he sliced the flank steak with the grain. I see you sliced across the grain. So what does everone do? :?
in my vast experience with making jerky (once) i cut with the grain cause that's the way the bbq guru taught me. but what i REALLY want to know is why this thread is in the sausage forum? jerky ain't sausage.[/quote:3icqi4cn]

But it could have been! Hey Greg, I think we need a jerky discusion area!

I plan on doing it in the lectric and also the recipe calls for insta cure it can't go in GBBQ cus I'm using the lectric (and the lectric ain't Q)...and this is the sausage and cured meats section.....I didn't want to put it in GD and have it lost in the mix...If one of the mods want's to move it I dont' care....I did cut most of the meat with the grain...I screwed up and cut some against the grain.. :oops: the stuff against the grain will crumble after its cooked...that's ok...it will go great in beans ;)

brian j said:
wittdog said:
I plan on doing it in the lectric and also the recipe calls for insta cure it can't go in GBBQ cus I'm using the lectric (and the lectric ain't Q)...and this is the sausage and cured meats section.....I didn't want to put it in GD and have it lost in the mix...If one of the mods want's to move it I dont' care....I did cut most of the meat with the grain...I screwed up and cut some against the grain.. :oops: the stuff against the grain will crumble after its cooked...that's ok...it will go great in beans ;)
oh contrare (sp). smoked meat is smoked meat and the only people who care whether it's charcoal, gas or electric is the kcbs and zellots like yourself. :P :LOL:
I guess I am a zellot....but not all smoked meats are the same...sausage done at below Q temps has a different texture and more of a smokey taste they doesn't fade after a few days in the fridge then the same batch done at the higher Q temps

Most of the jerky is done, some of the thicker pieces need more time the thinner pieces took 6 hrs and I used one pan of hickory saw dust…I don‘t think I would use more than that…overall I’m really happy with the way the jerky came out and how it tastes…this was the first time I tried this recipe and for my taste in jerky it was very good.(I don’t care for a lot of the soy taste in jerky) The flavor and sweetness were right on it also wasn't to salty just the right amount IMHO …it was a tad bit spicy for the boys but not overly so…it wasn’t hot enough for me by any means.. next time I’ll do to batches and add more cayenne to my batch.. It must have been good….cuz as soon as I was pulling it off of the racks the boys were eating it…I think I’m going to have to make more….Soon.... I had some issues with hot spots in the lectric and I needed to rotate and move the racks around some....I might try hanging the jery next time or give it a whirl in the WSM

Back
Top Bottom