"I Want Sausage"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
For the most part..if you are smoking at temps below 200* is when you need to cure the meat....at BBQ temps no cure is needed.

wittdog said:
For the most part..if you are smoking at temps below 200* is when you need to cure the meat....at BBQ temps no cure is needed.

Thanks Wit, can't wait to try some. I was watching your video yesterday and maybe I'll become a master sausage maker such as yourself some day. Just need to figure out how/what with/where I can cure the sausage. Would love to some day make a bunch to give to friends and family. That was a great vid...thanks.

Toby...the best advice I can give anyone who wants to make sausage is to by the Kutas book...and go from there

Never did bother to buy it but I've had Rytek's book at least twice and wound up giving away both copies. Got two or three major problemos with the book. Firstly..I had been making sausage way too long before seeing the book for it do much good. Might say I was already too set in my ways to appreciate it much. Secondly..I think the book is a cleverly disguised form of hucksterism designed to promote The Sausage Maker company in Buffler New Yawk. Rytek reccomends all kinds of weired ingredients a person does not need to make sausage..but can surely be purchased from the company he was affiliated with. He flat lies like a dawg about the properties of "fermentto" which as far as I can tell aint nothing but powdered buttermilk available at any grocery store for about 1/3 of the cost. Thirdly..there is nothing in the book..or any book I can think of.. which contains info that can't be found on the internet for no charge. The book *isses me off for some reason.

bigwheel

Curing sausage is a no brainer. You buy some stuff called Morton's Tender Quick at the grocery store and use it in place of the salt ration in whatever recipe you are following..or if your winging it..use it at the rate of 1 1/2 teaspoons per pound of meat. That make it nearly always just about salty enough. Once the TQ is in the mix stuff it in the cases quickly. You aint never had a chore like trying to work with meat which has been allowed to cure before stuffing. After you get it stuffed allow the links to rest uncovered in the ice box at least overnight so air can get to it thus allowing the cure to work uniformly. Simple huh?

bigwheel

Toby keil said:
wittdog said:

Thanks Wit, can't wait to try some. I was watching your video yesterday and maybe I'll become a master sausage maker such as yourself some day. Just need to figure out how/what with/where I can cure the sausage. Would love to some day make a bunch to give to friends and family. That was a great vid...thanks.

Hi,
what ever equipment you end up with be sure to buy a copy of this book, it is the bible in sausage making IMHO. been using it since the first edition. good luck! ;)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom