Hot Dogs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wittdog

Master Chef
Got a case of Butts today...plan on making some hotdogs, Polish Sausage and whatever else tickles my fancy....I was wondering if I should smoke the hots dogs or just leave em be like the store bought kind...What do you guys think?

Well the store bought kind is smoked..so think they prob need to be smoked to be true to form. The problemo with trying to make ho made dawgs is if you want em to be like the store bought stuff is they need to emulsfied. Which requires either an emusifying moochine or running them through the food processor in small batches in order to get em liquified. Think if a person wanted some it be mo betta to just go buy some at the store. Now I watched a butcher make some commecial models one day and it took about 5 years to get to where I could eat em again. If you smelled some of the spices they use it would make a grown man puke..dont even get speaking of the nasty fat meat they used. I would not want to go through that again. Just trying to touch all the bases here. Nathans is hard to beat. Save the meat for a more noble project.

bigwheel

Cliff H. said:
I for one will not be making hotdogs. :LOL: That would be kinda like making boudan. I don't want to know whats all in that either. ;)

That's kinda the point of making them yourself, if you don't care for rooters
& tooters you don't have to put them in!!! :LOL:

Well chicken lips and hawg ovaries really aint all that bad if you put the right spices in it.

bigwheel

I know hotdogs are cooked....just haven't seen them smoked at the store.
Going to do
10lbs of dogs
10-15lbs smoked polish sasuge
10-15 of ?
and 3.5 lbs of Buffalo Chicken Wing Sausage or some Black and Blue Cajun Sausage with Blue Cheese and Blackened Seasoning...

I had to doctor the recipe some...1tsp of Garlic Powder just didn't cut it...Added an extra TBL and 1/2 TBL of Onion...and a tsp or turmic (a little birdy told me that is the magic ing...left out of most recipes that people share) I seasoned the meat for the dogs tonight...we will be stuffing and smoking them tomarrow...

Just finished up stuffing all the sausage and hotdogs…..It’s a good thing we made more sausage..we ran out of the Polish yesterday….
Hot Dog Pate

My helpers

Couple of Links

Into the Smokehouse

Chicken Wing Sausage

Italian Sausage

Polish to be smoked tomorrow

Sorry CW the wife wanted some Italian Sausage….
10lbs Hotdogs
15lbs Smoked Polish
10lbs Italian
2.5bls Chicken Wing sausage

Wittdog - great looking sausage! Your boys must be great little guys. Mine are grown and gone off to school. I am happy for them but, this empty nest thing sucks. On the other hand, I can get after making some sausage to help ease the pain :D :D

Hot dogs are done….I think if I didn’t use old hickory the color would be like the storebought kind…but everything is better smoked and these are presmoked…Wifey and boys like them a lot….

Time to take a Bath(little tip…I like to submerge instead of showering the sausage….no wrinkles that way ;) )

Sliced

Man Dave, those are great looking dogs. Ya know, with the weather being cold like it is,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, HINT HINT.

Back
Top Bottom