Hot Dogs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Had some hotdogs with eggs this morning...good stuff...good taste the texture is right....( It was a pain to run the meat thru the Food Processer) but worth the effort...When I do hotdogs again it's the only thing I will be doing...no extra sausage....ok well maybe so fresh....The hotdogs came out so well..it's got me thinking about making some Bologna next....it will be alot easier to...couple of all natural beef bungs....no linking or worrying about the casings busting......

When I did my bratwurst, I ran it through the food processer. I added ice cubes to the mix also to keep it cold. It was a bit of a pain but well worth the effort. The texture was great!

Nick Prochilo said:
When I did my bratwurst, I ran it through the food processer. I added ice cubes to the mix also to keep it cold. It was a bit of a pain but well worth the effort. The texture was great!
Oh yeah I did the icecube thing....but how many lbs of brauts did you make...I did 10lbs of hotdogs...that was a lot of processing....thought I burned the processer out once... :oops:
Smoking the 15lbs of Polish Sausage today...

wittdog said:
Nick Prochilo said:
Oh yeah I did the icecube thing....but how many lbs of brauts did you make...I did 10lbs of hotdogs...that was a lot of processing....thought I burned the processer out once... :oops:
Smoking the 15lbs of Polish Sausage today...

I did 10 also, I think. And yeah, the processer takes a beating!

Get them all involved CW...I might try collegen casings the next time I do hotdogs...I had real nice thin walled casings this time which would have been great for sausage but I was worried I was going to bust them linking them....I think processing them is the key to getting the texture right...my meat was the texture of peanut butter....

Heres the finished Polish Sausage…..I only ground the meat once thru the med plate…I think I prefer this to doing it twice…I like this texture better….it was great in the Gumbo I made today..

I tried to make just a few Lbs of hot dogs today, just to see how I like your recipe. Recipe was great, however, I didn't end up with hot dogs.
I never made hot dog before and trying to get that little sheep casing on the tube was the worst. So I just gave up and made a couple of big shank dogs with hog casing.
What's your secret out there and what type of casing easy to work with?
Where did I go wrong?

Northsmoke said:
I tried to make just a few Lbs of hot dogs today, just to see how I like your recipe. Recipe was great, however, I didn't end up with hot dogs.
I never made hot dog before and trying to get that little sheep casing on the tube was the worst. So I just gave up and made a couple of big shank dogs with hog casing.
What's your secret out there and what type of casing easy to work with?
Where did I go wrong?

How big a casing?.... sounds like you ended up with a bologna!

Any pics?

Get a smaller stuffer tube. Did you soak the casings first? Were the casing wet when you put them on the tube? Somebody said here once to soak them in white vinegar, I believe before you put them on the tube. I made chicken sausage with smaller sheep casings and didn't have a lot of trouble, but they were a little harder to get on.

Ididn't use the sheep casings...I went with the Jumbo dogs in hog casings...and as far as the Polish Sausage being dry...if you smoked them did you use a binder like soy protien? Was the meat cold enough when you ground it...how much did you lean out the butts? Are your grinder blades sharp.....did the meat smear when grinding or stuffing?

Witt, I used the doggy recipe you sent me and I didn't make kielbasi I just ended up with a hot dog the size of a kielbasi.

I know I did everything right with the sheep casing, you know soaking it and rinsing it, I just couldn't fine the open ends for the life of me.

I used a smaller tube...I just couldn't find the opening [smilie=a_doh.gif] YIKES...that didn't sound to good?

Just wanted to know if ya all had any secrets for finding that hole? [smilie=a_holyshit.gif]

Northsmoke said:
Witt, I used the doggy recipe you sent me and I didn't make kielbasi I just ended up with a hot dog the size of a kielbasi.

I know I did everything right with the sheep casing, you know soaking it and rinsing it, I just couldn't fine the open ends for the life of me.

I used a smaller tube...I just couldn't find the opening [smilie=a_doh.gif] YIKES...that didn't sound to good?

Just wanted to know if ya all had any secrets for finding that hole? [smilie=a_holyshit.gif]

I'll pass on this one!

Back
Top Bottom