Here I go again!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Nick Prochilo

Chef Extraordinaire
Getting ready to make some sausage for Christmas. I went to the supermarket today and picked up 28 pounds of pork shoulder. The butcher did me a square and de-boned them for me ( there were 3). I let the bones simmer for a while and I'll use the broth instead of water tomorrow. The 28 pounds after de-boning was 19 1/2 pounds. The bone and skin accounted for 30% of the total weight. After calculations it comes out to $1.43 per pound. I told the butcher that for his time (he didn't charge me) I would drop off a few bags of pulled pork I have in the freezer. Oh yeah, the sausage tomorrow is gonna be 15 pounds kilbasa and 5 pounds sweet italian sausage. I'll post picture either tomorrow or Sunday.

Very nice...I love it when they debone it and square it up...(just make sure that he took the gland out)...Can't wait to see the pics...you going to smoke any of that?

I need to make some more sausage..of the 40lbs of Polish I made a few weeks ago...we only have 10lbs left...looks like next weekend will a sauasge making weekend...

Here is a start with some pictures. Everything is ground and all seasoned. I'm gonna start stuffing in a little while.

19 1/2 pounds

Soon to be Italian

Italian taste test

Soon to be Polish

I'm so happy!

You need to get your booty down to Ace Mart and buy yourself 3 or 4 meat lugs..two would be a good starting point. They just about indespensible for sausage making...rubbing briskets..making chow chow and sundry other tasks. You know whut I'm talking about? They gray plastic and about 4 inch deep rectangular shaped about 2 feet long etc. and the bus boy uses them when he cleans up dirty dishes at the Tex Mex restaurant. They also called busing lugs I think. Tell Mama to tell Santa to bring you a couple. They look similar to this:

http://www.butcher-packer.com/pages-mai ... -lugs.html

bigwheel

bigwheel said:
You need to get your booty down to Ace Mart and buy yourself 3 or 4 meat lugs..two would be a good starting point. They just about indespensible for sausage making...rubbing briskets..making chow chow and sundry other tasks. You know whut I'm talking about? They gray plastic and about 4 inch deep rectangular shaped about 2 feet long etc. and the bus boy uses them when he cleans up dirty dishes at the Tex Mex restaurant. They also called busing lugs I think. Tell Mama to tell Santa to bring you a couple. They look similar to this:

http://www.butcher-packer.com/pages-mai ... -lugs.html

bigwheel

Yeah I hear you! I have a 5 gallon pail from the local deli that I do my mixing in and it's tough.

Holy $hit. This sausage stuffer that I bought is the best thing I've ever gotten! Couldn't have been any easier stuffing these bad bays than it went today!

Italian

Polish

Great job Nick!
Look Larry 2 zip loc bags.............those are for us [smilie=banana.gif]

Looks great Nick...Good job...A couple of sweater boxs work well for the lugs and they come with lids in case you need to keep the meat overnight..That bucket stuffer works like a dream don't it.....you might want to invest in some nonskid padding like for motorhomes so you don't scratch up the counter top with the bottom of the stuffer..

Well that pail outta work too..thought maybe you was trying to mix it up up in the glass bowls in the pitcher. Looks very professional. Hope mama dont give you a whupping for clamping that stuffer to her nice table. I flat ruined a dining room table from clamping a hand grinder to it back in the good old days. Now did any of that stuff you making have any cure in it? Is that stuffer the Northern Tools model? Enquiring minds need to know this kinda stuff. Thanks.

bigwheel

Puff said:
Great job Nick!
Look Larry 2 zip loc bags.............those are for us [smilie=banana.gif]
Come and get it!

wittdog said:
Looks great Nick...Good job...A couple of sweater boxs work well for the lugs and they come with lids in case you need to keep the meat overnight..That bucket stuffer works like a dream don't it.....you might want to invest in some nonskid padding like for motorhomes so you don't scratch up the counter top with the bottom of the stuffer..
I'm gonna mount it to a board so it reaches across the counter. This way I can clamp it in 2 places.

bigwheel said:
Well that pail outta work too..thought maybe you was trying to mix it up up in the glass bowls in the pitcher. Looks very professional. Hope mama dont give you a whupping for clamping that stuffer to her nice table. I flat ruined a dining room table from clamping a hand grinder to it back in the good old days. Now did any of that stuff you making have any cure in it? Is that stuffer the Northern Tools model? Enquiring minds need to know this kinda stuff. Thanks.

bigwheel
I think the tubs you mentioned earlier would be easier to mix in. I'm gonna look into those. I only used the bowl to keep it in the refridgerater while I was stuffing the polish sausage. The stuffer came from Grizzly. It looks exactly the same as the one from Northern tools and from Sausagemaker only it was $59.

Puff said:
Hey Nick, what's that "Tigerettes" shirt in the pic? :LOL:

My daughter was on the kickline in high school. That was the name of the team.

Back
Top Bottom