Help with curing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

big dude

Sous Chef
Let me say that this may be answered somewhere, but when I search I always get too many things to look through, but that's another topic. I've cured brisket for corned beef and pastrami using brine (3/4 cup salt to 2 qt water) for two weeks and I've made canadian bacon using tenderquick for 6 days. I've not tried injecting yet. As I've read through the posts that are readily available - mostly wittdog- I've not seen - or missed - anything about post cure soaking. In both my attempts the meat had a good taste and was cured throughout but both have been too salty to eat. I made a pastrami this past weekend using store bought corned beef and soaked for 24 hrs and it was fine. How are you folks able to avoid the soak?
Second question - due to the thickness of store bought pastrami, they appear to be using something besides brisket - a cut of round perhaps - has anyone used another cut and how did it turn out? what was curing process and time? Thanks. The Big Dude

I don't post cure soak...but I do rinse and scrub the exterior to remove excess salt...are you using Kosher salt?
The ratio of salt to Water seems high to me....most of the brines I"ve used for curing typically call for 5qts of water.....

the other issue could be the TQ which is mostly Salt, and a small amount of cure, sugar and flavors. If you are using TQ and more Salt that could be part of the problem along with the water to salt ratio.
They do cure round both for corned beef and pastrami....the thicker the meat the longer the brine time....I would treat it like a ham and go some where between 7-10 days.

Thanks for the feedback wittdog. I really want to be able to do this well and even though salty, I think my pastrami is already better than supermarket deli. I'll get some insta cure and try your lower salt brine recipe. I assume I just need to go longer if I don't inject it, but the outcome should be the same - yes?

I soak for a couple hours, changing the water twice. It has not been salty yet. Good luck in your future adventures.

big dude said:
Thanks for the feedback wittdog. I really want to be able to do this well and even though salty, I think my pastrami is already better than supermarket deli. I'll get some insta cure and try your lower salt brine recipe. I assume I just need to go longer if I don't inject it, but the outcome should be the same - yes?
Yeah it should come out fine without the injection...I inject becuase it helps to speed up the curing process..and you I would hate to have something spoil while brining.

Back
Top Bottom