Got Meat

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Two weeks in

We are getting there...the meat at the top end of the casings is nice and dry the thicker end is coming along.

wittdog said:
Two weeks in

We are getting there...the meat at the top end of the casings is nice and dry the thicker end is coming along.

I just emailed the pic of the boys to Barb at her office. She'll get a kick out of them.

Puff said:
Thanks. How's yours coming along?
Probably about another week...I checked on it a few days ago...and might check today....

I would could back on the ansie for my tastes..I cut some off and the flavor was real good....

BTW you don't have to hang it..you can stuff it and smoke it...the recipe is in the Book...semi dry cured I think it's called.

wittdog said:
Puff said:
Probably about another week...I checked on it a few days ago...and might check today....

I would could back on the ansie for my tastes..I cut some off and the flavor was real good....

BTW you don't have to hang it..you can stuff it and smoke it...the recipe is in the Book...semi dry cured I think it's called.
I think it would be kinda' cool to have it hanging in the basement.

Puff said:
wittdog said:
Puff said:

I think it would be kinda' cool to have it hanging in the basement.

Your right, it is!

Dang Witt looks like your getting serious with this sausage making bidness. Looks great. You paying any mind to the humidity on the dry semi-dry stuff? Trying to track it? Manipulate it etc?. Think it matters any?Thanks.

bigwheel

bigwheel said:
Dang Witt looks like your getting serious with this sausage making bidness. Looks great. You paying any mind to the humidity on the dry semi-dry stuff? Trying to track it? Manipulate it etc?. Think it matters any?Thanks.

bigwheel
Humidity plays a big role in the dry cured stuff probably bigger then temp.
The humidity in my basement runs between 65-70 in that little room..I added a cooler filled up water and salt to help bring it up...next year I'm thinking about running a humidifier down there....
If it's not humid enough the outside dries before the middle trapping the moisture in the middle...

Yeah my old pal Jerry Fowler was also trying to mess with the humidity. He lived on the Left Coast but surprisingly the normal humidity was too low. He found some kinda stuff which made it just right if you pen it up in an ice box along with the sausage. I forget whut it was right now but it give off humidity at a certain rate once it got saturated. Know whut I'm speaking of here?

bigwheel

bigwheel said:
Yeah my old pal Jerry Fowler was also trying to mess with the humidity. He lived on the Left Coast but surprisingly the normal humidity was too low. He found some kinda stuff which made it just right if you pen it up in an ice box along with the sausage. I forget whut it was right now but it give off humidity at a certain rate once it got saturated. Know whut I'm speaking of here?

bigwheel
I can't remember the chemical name but its the same stuff they use in humidors.

We went down and check the pepperoni project this morning and it’s done its been 3 weeks…..I have to say this is some of the best stuff I’ve had the flavor is awesome..it’s got that nice twang to it….threes probably not enough time to make some more this year…but I’m already thinking about what I’m going to be dry curing next year. If I get started early enough…salami might be a project for next year.

As fast as I could cut it the boys and the mars were eating it. Sorry about the pic quality…I have a hard time with the close up pics.

Back
Top Bottom