First Attempt At Sausage . . . More To It Than Meets The Eye

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Smokey Lew

Head Chef
Learning how to make sausage is kind of like learning how to ride a bike. You can explain the hows but the trick is learning the feel of things for yourself.

List of surprise discoveries during the process:

1. Keeping the fat cold is difficult. Especially when everything you do for the first time is in slow motion.
2. Sausage casings like to run down the garbage disposal to hide while flushing them unless you keep one foot on them so they don't run away.
3. Stuffed sausages don't adhere to the laws of uniformity. They naturally want to resemble a snake that just ate a goat.
4. Successful sausage makers are all freaks with a three arms and six fingers on each hand.
5. There's some kind of hidden trick to twisting sausage into links so you don't untwist the one you just did.

I did two batches of sausages on Sunday. One 5 lb. run of brisket/pork and another 5 lb. run of hot Italian sausages. Tried the brisket/pork on the grill (a little weird tasting seasoning mix). It had nutmeg, ground cloves, ground allspice and cinnamon in it among other ingredients. Didn't expect the flavor profile I ended up with. Still have to sample the hot Italian.

Ice in a bowl with another bowl inside of it to catch the meat as it comes out of the grinder. Got to keep the fat as cold as possible.

We're in business.

Brisket/Pork mix grind is completed.

Ready to mix the seasonings and cold red wine into the ground meat.

Stuffing the casings with the sausage mix.

Grilling up the first couple of sausages. This is the brisket & pork weirdo blend.

Plated with some tomato salad and bread.

Hot Italian sausages. Vacuum sealing and freezing all of them for later. Held a couple out for today's lunch.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Hang in there Lew. You'll get it. I think back to the first time I made sausage :LOL: .
Looks like you did great. What size plate did you use. We like to use a half inch plate for sausage. Little tip on seasoning,we always fry a small sample after mixing the spices in, that way you know how it's going to taste before stuffing, make adjustments to the mix if need be.

Pigs

:LOL: I did laugh out loud, BTDT! You have a nice sausage stuffer, I used the KA attachment for grinding and stuff'n.

I think you did a dang fine job, Lew! It is not easy, yours looks great!

When I did mine I didn't have enough fat, when you ate it....it actually sucked the moisture out of your mouth and body. :oops: My sausage looked
like some goats intestines after be'n on the farm too long......without feed! :roll:

I think you did great and I wouldn't turn it down for nothing!(well, cept crab legs ;) :LOL: )

Nice job and great setup!

Again Lew I am totally impressed ... I think they look great. I'm still working to become a fraction of the cook you are before attempting sausage. Thanks for sharing it is a good pictorial.

Lew looks like you did a very good job.
1.You can put the cubed meat in the freezer for a couple of hours before you grind that will help to keep the fat cold. I tend to make big batches and break up the work over a few days. Day one chunk the meat. Day 2 grind. Day 3 stuff. I also weight the meat 5lbs will fit in a gallon freezer bag. This way you are only working with 5lbs at a time and the rest can stay cold. The smaller grinders tend to heat up quicker as well.
2.Yes hog guts are slippery critters.
3.It takes a little time to learn how much you can pack into a casing with it looking like a well fed snake or getting those blow outs. It also helps to have a helper with a second set of hands.
4. see above...a second set of hands is very helpful.
5. Yes there is a trick alternate every other link and alternate the direction you spin them. Start with the second link and spin it away from you. Skip the 3rd link and spin the 4 towards you..skip the 5th and spin the 6 towards you ect.

What Witt said! Also what pigs said about frying up a little taste after you seasoned it will let you know if you need to adjust any seasonings.

I'm LMAO ! Those damn casings, I sure know what you mean! Your sausage looks great.... I do mine in smaller batches, cook a patty or two to check for seasoning. And just keep changing up the seasonings until you get 'em right !
Good job !

Back
Top Bottom