Finished pics...Updated version Vension Jerky in the Process

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cleglue

Head Chef
I shot a deer last week and have been letting it age in the refrigerator. I decided to make some venison jerky. I haven’t done it this way before but I figured I’d give it a try. I’m curing it using the Canadian Bacon recipe. Then I’ll season it with pepper and other seasoning before smoking it and drying it out in the Sausage maker smoker.

How long should I let the meat cure? Overnight…a day or more?

I've never done game jerky with a Canadian bacon cure. When I done moose or caribou jerky, I cure it overnight then dry/smoke at a real low temp. sorry I couldn't be more help.

Sorta the same as Griff here. Have made a bunch of venison jerky but never bothered to cure it. I always use an overnight marinate after its cut into strips. Typical cure time for sausage links is over night. Thin as the venison strips most likely be would take a wild guess that be plenty of time. Now if you trying to cure a whole ham with the idear to slice it up later or something that be a hoss of a different color of course. Maybe need a little mo input on the game plan on this one.

bigwheel

I'm with Griff and BW on this one...I use a jerky marinade with a small amount of cure...a day or two is enough

Hey try this. This come from an old Texas Highway Peteroleum dispatcher down at Corpus about 40 years ago. Have made several tons of jerky following the procedure and aint nobody died from eating it that I ever hear of anyway. I have posted this recipe a hundred times so kindly forgve any redundancies. Aint never changed it cuz I aint found no reason to:

Pickett Durrough's Jerky

Cut the meat into strips about as big as your index and soak in the ice box all night with this"

1 cup Lea n Perrins
1 cup Kikkomann
1 T. black peppa
1 T. garlic salt
1 T. onyawn powder

Next day drag em out and dehydrate em at about 140-160 degrees till they turn to shoe leather after about 24 hrs. Use smoke if you got it and can maintain those temps. If you hopeless...a normal oven will maintain about 140 if set on low and the door cracked to the first notch. Now after having watched my old pal Alton Brown make the stuff using a box fan and some AC filters...I have about decided if a person could keep a fan blowing on it whilst keeping off the bugs..and the weather was tolerable a person could just hang it in the attic and wait a while. Now smoke is another question I have a theory that on an offset bbq pit a person could clean out there firebox real good and get a box fan blowing in and a electric hot plate with chunks kept perking in the horizontal whilst the meat strips was chugging away in the upright a person could have some januine smoked jerky. Outlet stack open of course. Not much telling how long it would take. Day or two maybe depending on the weather. Swear I'm gonna try it one day. Dont think no bugs could get to it. Let me know whut yall think?

bigwheel

Okay...Today I took the venison out of the cure and used wittdog's apple recipe
http://www.bbq-4-u.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=7394

along with adding a lot more of what is in bigwheel's recipe

1 cup Lea n Perrins
1 cup Kikkomann

Thanks guys.

We just happened to have a gallon of Mott's apple juice. We bought two gallons of apple juice to make wassail for the holidays.

Here are the updated pictures. Tomorrow I'll put in the Sausage Maker smoker.

Any suggestions on wood? I have hickory, apple, and cherry sawdust.

Glad you remembered about this deal. I got a feeling he followed Witt's recipe a little too close and he prob deceased as we speak. Hope not.

bigwheel

I got busy learning astronomy. My daughter got a telescope for Christmas so I've been on a learning curve learning what we are suppose to be looking at. We also went out of town last weekend.

The jerky tasted good but I dried it out too much so it is very brittle.

Next time I need to not dry it out so much!

Thanks for the advice and help bigwheel and wittdog.

Here are the pictures.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom