Duke's Original Shorty Smoked Sausages

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nvestysly

Assistant Cook
I love sausage of almost any sort. I haven't taken time to make my own or smoke my own like many of you have done. Until I take time to make my own I'm relegated to finding sausages that taste good to me.

A few years ago I became aware of dried sausages. I probably had them in the past but didn't realize what I was eating and hadn't fully developed my sausage palate at that point.

So I've been on a mission to try as many dried sausages as possible. I usually buy them at local butcher shops as we travel the country.

My wife gave me a pleasant surprise in my stocking at Christmas. Instead of the usual jerky she gave me in the past, she stumbled across Duke's Original Shorty Smoked Sausages. Yes, they are smoked but also smoked to the point of being dried. No fillers, no additives, just good smoked sausages in a mini size. They're great!

Original “Shorty” Smoked Sausages | Duke's Small Batch Smoked Meats

Attachments

• Dukes_shorty.jpg
    Dukes_shorty.jpg
    18 KB · Views: 501
I stopped by the grocery store to see if they had Duke's Original Shorty Smoked Sausages and was pleased to see they were on sale for $4.99 per package. I think usual price at the grocery store is $6.49. The Amazon price is $7.47 for the same size package - 5 oz.

Like jerky, this product is expensive because most of the water is removed in the smoking/drying process.

I've really enjoyed Duke's Shorty Sausages for nearly two years. I buy them periodically when they're on sale.

As a smoked meat aficionado I'm always searching for interesting products that require little packaging or preparation when we are traveling in our RV. While in Michigan recently I came across a smoked (dried) sausage made by Kowalski (kowality.com). The product is commonly referred to as Hunters Sausage and is widely available in Sam's Club and Costco throughout Michigan. At less than $0.50 per ounce it's less than half the price of Duke's Shorty Sausages.

Next time I find myself in Michigan I'm stocking up!

Attachments

• hunters_sausage.jpg
    hunters_sausage.jpg
    8.6 KB · Views: 371
Back
Top Bottom