Dry Cured Pep and Salami

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
One week update….
The meats have been hanging for about a week….You can see the pep beginning to dry out…and we are starting to see some of the desirable white mold form on the outside of the pep casings….
You can see the mold in the next pics

Salami
I’m not seeing anything on the salami yet..but it might be because of the larger size or the fact that I used natural casings..

Bruce B said:
"desirable & mold" there's two words that you don't often find in the same sentence.
Think about that the next time you eat cheese ;)
No problem Bruce I'll take you off the mailing list ;)

Nick Prochilo said:
[quote="007bond-jb":3v7h17up]I thought Moles were furry little animals :LOL:

Like on the side of a girls face?[/quote:3v7h17up]

Geeez Nick, what kind of women do you hang with?

That does look awesome Witt!! I am wanting to get into the curing and canning bit, but I don't have a sufficient place for the storage at the time.

wittdog said:
Bruce B said:
"desirable & mold" there's two words that you don't often find in the same sentence.
Think about that the next time you eat cheese ;)
No problem Bruce I'll take you off the mailing list ;)

Please put me on your mailing list since you are taking Bruce off. :D

The drying is looking good.

Well I am way too busy to keep up with all these various threads. Some of us work for a living ya know? Now from whut can be gathered from just getting the big pitcher..looks like ya done good. I can accept free evaluation samples up till past New Year..just to double check that it is fittin. Let me know. Now the smart Jewish Cardiologist say to cut back on triglyercides (sic)...if you got that in there please take it out afore mailing. He say my hawg fat levels was purty kewlish. Now the Blue Bell Moolenium Crunch and chocolate chip cookies might be part to blame on this deal too...so aint just picking on you for delivering unhealthy snacks to the public of course. Hope you dont mind but I will be forwarding a copy of our correspondence to Algore just in case the triglyercies go nuts on the stuff. Thanks. Hate to nag :oops:

bigwheel

Time for a two week update…The Salami, Bresola and pepperoni have been hanging for 2 weeks now..and we just hung the hams down there.

The slim pepperoni sticks are almost done….they are staring to feel nice and firm…
Some one is chomping at the bit to start eating it.

Salami shrinking up

The pep, salami and bresola have been hanging for about 3 weeks now…the small pep is done

Its good stuff…we are going to have some with the smoked cheese from last week as a snack..
The thicker pep has a way to go still

The bresola and the salami

The salami is getting that powdery white mold on the end which is a good thing

Its been a while since we did an update on the salami and the big pepperoni……well it’s been 7 weeks of hanging and they are ready to go…
The pep

The Salami

I’ve got the pepperoni recipe nailed..it came out great..the only thing I would do next time is add some pork to the mix this time I used all beef and I think the beef takes away some from the flavoring….if I did it again with all beef I would tweek the recipe some…

The salami is very good…I used the recipe from Charcuterie…..I will be making it again but I will not include the wine…I don’t care to much for the flavor of the wine…I think leaving it out will make a better salami to my taste pallet..

Back
Top Bottom