Capacolla

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wittdog

Master Chef
I think I’m going to try to make some Capacolla…I know that it is traditionally made from a pork butt but I have seen Lean Capacolla that was make with what appears to be a loin…I’m not looking to dry cure it…I’m going to brine it….now I’m wondering if I should smoke it and if so what kind of wood do you guys think that I should use…..or should I just cook it without any smoke….

Well..we got four choices....apple,cherry,maple and hickory...I'm leaning towards a light apple with a pinch of cherry...

wittdog said:
I think I’m going to try to make some Capacolla

Great, now Ive got to make yet another trip out to West Seneca..Im gonna start charging him for gas !!!!

I started the Capac olla project today…John Pen was nice enough to donate a pork loin…I mixed up the brine using the Canadian Bacon wet brine recipe…but instead of using honey or maple syrup I used plain old sugar as the sweetener…..I also added ¼ cup of Hungarian paprika, Granulated Onion, Granulated Garlic and a pinch of cayenne pepper….

The D helped to inject the loins

With a little bit of supervision

After the loins were injected I added a pinch of Basil, Oregano and Rosemary to the Brine……and off to the fridge it goes for about a week….After then brine I’ll let them dry off some and then roll them in the same stuff…and smoke with some apple wood and cherry..

Nick I fear the day and I think it's coming that the Bills leave Buffalo...when and if that day comes I'm done with Pro Football and its a shame becuase I love Pro Football.....

wittdog said:
Nick I fear the day and I think it's coming that the Bills leave Buffalo...when and if that day comes I'm done with Pro Football and its a shame becuase I love Pro Football.....

Then you know how I feel being a Jet fan. They had the chance to move the team to lower Manhatten but Cablevision killed that. Then they had the chance to come back to Queens but the owner decided to keep sleeping with the Giants. They should make both those tems give up the "NY"!

Mmmm Capacolla. My Mom used to have that on grinders/subs/hoagies. I didn't like it when I tried it long ago. It was TOO HOT for me! ROFL! That should tell you how long it's been since I've tried capacolla...dunno why! [smilie=a_doh.gif]

ScottyDaQ said:
Mmmm Capacolla. My Mom used to have that on grinders/subs/hoagies. I didn't like it when I tried it long ago. It was TOO HOT for me! ROFL! That should tell you how long it's been since I've tried capacolla...dunno why! [smilie=a_doh.gif]
To hot for he of the millon hot sauces...that's funny....nothing like a Royal Italian Sub/grinder/hoagie....italian sausage and cappacolla...

The Capac olla is ready for the smoker….
Out of the brine….

Rubbed up with ½ Cup Hungarian Paprika, 1 TBLS each Granualted Onion, Garlic Powder…1tea each of cayenne pepper and white pepper…

Hung and rubbed

See you in a few hours….

My helper making sure the sawdust is wet enough…used ¾ apple and ¼ cherry

The outside of the meat is dry to the touch….

The meat after an hour and a half…nice and dry and ready to meet Mr.Smoke

Looking good Witt.

I'm having problems with the thumbnails when I click to see the larger pictures. It is taking forever to load. Is anyone else having a problem with imageshack today? Usually they load quickly.

Back
Top Bottom