Boudin

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rag1

Executive Chef
The sausage kitchen was open again today. Made 20+ pounds of Boudin (55 links). I started at 10 am and didn't finish till after 6pm, plus the prep work the night before cooking rice and chicken. My a$$ is beat. From now on it will be smaller batches. This stuff is killer good.

The blue tub in the background was used for mixing. I didn't have a pot big enough for this batch.

Good job Rag. Boudan is one of my favorite food groups. Will testify its a highly labor intensive and messy proposition to make it yourself. Batch I ran off many moons ago was not as good as whut they sell in the store...so now when my Boudan tooth gets to kicking I just send the warden to go buy some at Kroger.

bigwheel

I can't buy the stuff up here. My buddy and I were riding through the gulf states (on bikes) and spent the better part of a night at a blues bar on the Mississippi River in Natchez. The bar owner (who had a smoked wild boar in a smoker out back...best pork I ever tasted) told us about a road side joint in La that sold Boudin. We didn't know what Boudin was, but followed his instruction and rode on top of the river dikes for 40 miles to the place. The dude was right....outstanding stuff. Luckily I found a recipe that duplicates the flavor.
This batch had it's problems;
-The parsley (3 bunches) had a ton of sand in it....looooong wash job.
- I needed 10 cup of rice. I burned the rice to the pot bottom. Had to start over. Sent Barb out for more.
- My casings sucked. Had to get more. I went out.
- I needed 10#s cooked chicken. I bought 15#s raw. Yield was 4 1/2#'s. Sent Barb out for more.
- Had to bring pork cubes in cream and seasoning to a boil. Burn pork to pot bottom. Had to stop, fish all pork out and trim burn crap off, beat the crap out of the pot bottom to get black stuff off, put everything back together. Barb didn't have to go out.
- Didn't have a pot big enough to mix 10#s chicken, 10#'s pork, 10 cups rice, and etc. So I got a big plastic tub I store boat gear in and scrubbed it up.

Grinding and stuffing went well.

One of the steps is to simmer the pork in cream, then drain. I will reduce the draining with all that good seasoning to make a serving sauce. It's like nectar.

Dang..sounds like a purty exotic recipe you got hold of there. Stumbling block on the batch I made was the pork liver. If they got some in Foat Wuth it is well hid. Wound up using Calf liver and it turned bitter on me cuz some nuthead who wrote the recipe say to boil it up with the pork..which as any idiot should have known was too long to cook liver. Anyway if I had it to do over again I would use chicken liver. In fact if there is some difference in typical boudan (not counting fancy gourmet recipes) and dirty rice I can't quite figger out whut it is.

bigwheel

No liver used here. try it.

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
1 1/2 yds 32 to 35 casings
1 pound lean fresh pork
1/2 cup pork fat
1 cup heavy whipping cream
1 cup onion, chopped
5 Tbs fresh parsley, chopped
1 Tbs garlic, minced
1/3 cup scallions, sliced
1/3 cup water
1 pound leftover white chicken meat
1 1/2 cups cooked white rice
1/2 tsp rubbed sage
4 tsp salt (hold bac some and add later)
1/2 tsp black pepper
1 tsp cayenne pepper
1/4 tsp ground bay leaf
1/4 tsp dried thyme
1/16 tsp allspice
1/8 tsp mace
1/4 cup water, or more if needed

1. Prepare the casings. Cut the pork and fat into 1 1/2"l pieces and put
into a heavy 5-6 qt saucepan along with cream, onion, parsley, garlic,
shallots and seasoning. Add about 1/3 cup water.

2. Cook over high heat until the mixture begins to boil. Quickly reduce heat
to low and cook for about 10 minutes, stirring frequently, then remove the
pan from heat.

3. Cut up the chicken meat and add it to the pan, along with cooked rice.
Mix thoroughly, drain in a colander and let cool for 10 minutes. Add more
salt now, if necessary.

4. If not used right away, then freeze.

5. To serve, brown in a skillet.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Looks good. Now I will have to add liver. Liverless boudan is like a peanut butter sandwich without no peanut butter on it:)

bigwheel

Back
Top Bottom