Andoulli

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Try this:

Bigwheel's Genuine Coonass Andouille

13 lbs. Boston Butt
1 cup fresh minced garlic (from the jar)
1/2 cup coarse black pepper
2 T. garlic powder
2 T. onion powder
5 T. salt
1 T. MSG
1 T. Tender Quick
3 T. dried parsley flakes
4 T. cayenne pepper
3 T. ground Thyme
1 bottle Shiner Bock Beer
1 pair of well cleaned Raccoon hindquarters (optional)
water

Combine all spices with beer and water to equal 1 1/2 quarts of liquid. Chill the spiced liquid while you cut and debone the meat to fit the grinder. Add liquid to meat mixing well. Run meat through coarse grinder plate and mix it up again. Stuff into medium hog guts and tie into one foot links. Allow links to rest uncovered in the ice box overnight shuffling occasionally so all links get some air. Next day smoke heavy at 175 degrees with oak, pecan, and mesquite to internal temp of 155.

bknox said:
I have a love for Cajun Food (and Mexican, Thia, Italian, well most foods) but I would like to make Andoulli sausage this fall. Can anyone guide me to an authentic recipe that has been tested?

Thanks,
Bryan

This is the one I use.

5 pounds pork butt
1/2 pound pork fat
1/2 cup chopped garlic
1/4 cup cracked black pepper
2 tablespoons cayenne pepper
1 tablespoon dry thyme
4 tablespoons salt
6 feet beef middle casing (see butcher or specialty shop)
Cube pork butt into one and a half inch cubes. Using a meat grinder with four one quarter inch holes in the grinding plate, grind pork and pork fat. If you do not have a grinding plate this size, I suggest hand cutting pork butt into one quarter inch square pieces.
Place ground pork in large mixing bowl and blend in all remaining ingredients. Once well blended, stuff meat into casings in one foot links, using the sausage attachment on your meat grinder. Tie both ends of the sausage securely using a heavy gauge twine.

In your homestyle smoker, smoke andouille at 175-200°F for approximately four to five hours using pecan or hickory wood. The andouille may then be frozen and used for seasoning gumbos, white or red beans, pastas or grilling as an hors d'oeuvre.

Recipe by:
Chef John Folse
Louisiana's Premier Products
2517 South Philippe Avenue
Gonzales, LA 70737
(504) 644-6000

Looks good. Maybe a bit on the salty side. Just hard to find pork fat around here. Pure butts makes it plenty fat enough for me. That beef middle casing is a good plan. Had the honor of using those thangs a few times. Makes the sausage nice and fat diameter wise. This has turned into my favorite meat ration for everything comes right at near dead on 20 lbs each time..might vary a lb or so either way depending on how big are the butts of course:

2 beboned butts (usually around 12-13 lbs)
3 lb box bacon ends and pieces
5 lb chub preground 80/20 chuck

bigwheel

Pigs on the wing,

That sounds more like what I am looking for. Since I left Virginia I really do not have a resource for 'coon.

With fall approaching I want to make Jambalya and it's just not the same with out the Andouilli. There is a place on the north side of Chicago that makes it but unless I have a couple other things to do I would rather stay here.

Thanks everyone,
Bryan

Cool smoker set-up!

I use a recipe similar to Folse's with a few mods. I cut the salt to 3 T, use fresh thyme, minced well, and some dried, powdered, add some paprika for color, and add some crushed red pepper along with the cayenne. I add a good pinch of Cure#1 and a pinch of ground mace nibs.

I don't add fat to the butt, I just select an untrimmed butt, cut it into 2-inch cubes, and toss the cubes with the mix. This sits in the fridge for before I cut half the meat into 1/4-inch cubes, grind the rest, and make the primary bind, adding ice water if necessary. Then I stuff, air-dry for an hour or two, then smoke. (I often skip the Cure#1 if making it just for me as I'll freeze whatever I'm not using right away. I do use it in andouille I make for others as I'm not sure how long it will be in the fridge and Cure increases shelf life.)

bknox said:
Oh man you taunt me with the images of smoked sausage! I can get pecan and now am toying with the idea of how to convince my wife I need a smoker like the one you have, just for sausage.

Ilove this forum!
It might help if you tell her it's not just for sausage but for bacon, Canadian bacon, Salami, Jerky and Ham...little food for thought :D
Oh yeah and pepparoni and cappacola...and a few other things...

I appreciate your .02 witt.

(I should have noted) I don't use beef middles for the ones in which I skip the cure. I use pork casings for those so they are smaller. Thus, the come-up time is pretty short. Also, these sausages aren't ones I serve cold; like bacon, I cook them before eating, usually sliced or diced and sauteed. The flavor is different, as you'd expect, and the texture is drier. I use a process similar to that used at Wayne Jacob's in La Place, though they use middles. (Check out this post on eGulletfor a look at their operation.) Cured andouille is, imo, best for gumbos.

Naw they aint all the same. Best strategy if you wanting to make a cured sausage..corned beef...bacon etc..is to find yourself some stuff called Morton's Tender Quick. Should be readily available in any well stocked grocery store. It usually can be found in the canning/pickling section and sometimes it over near the salt. Use it for the salt ration in place of the salt which would otherwise be needed. If the recipe calls for some other kinda cure just forget about it and use the MTQ as described above. Woops PS...want to qualify this tirade only slightly. Say for example you are making a wet cured brined corned beef..ham etc. you dont need to use solid TQ. About half a cup per gallon of brine should be plenty. Use pickling salt for the rest of the salt ration. You could use it for the entire measure of salt but it could get expunsive.

bigwheel

Morton TenderQuick isn't a curing salt--it's a dry cure (in other words, it's curing salt mixed with other ingredients).

Curing salts are the same. DC#1, Insta Cure #1, et al., are all the same thing: 93.75% salt and 6.25% sodium nitrite. Most are tinted pink to distiguish them from ordinary salt (they should only be used as directed in a recipe and stored safely out of the reach of children). Also, all the curing salts that are used for dry-cured sausages (DC#2, Insta #2, etc.) are the same as well--they have the addition of sodium nitrate.

TQ is fine but that vast majority of sausage recipes are written with curing salts in mind. A measure in a recipe for curing salt is not interchangeable with TQ as TQ also contains sugar, propylene glycol and sodium nitite and nitrite in proprietary amounts.

I prefer to use curing salt alone for sausages and to make dry cure blends (salt, sugar, sodium nitrite--for bacon, for example) myself as it is easy to make, one can make a batch ahead of time that can be stored for months (so whenever the need to cure pork belly grabs you it's available), it's cheaper to make oneself, and I can skip the propylene glycol and the nitrate as neither are necessary.

I get my stuff from here as they're cheaper than most and reliable. I get casings from them too--and innoculant. Grab some dextrose as well (search the the site for it, I forget its category) if you decide to get curing salt and/or casings from them as it's finer than table sugar (so it blends better), not quite as sweet, and cheap to boot.

Most sausage making devotees favor a book by a fella name Rytek Kutas..who's family owns a place called "The Sausage Maker" in Buffalo, NY. It called Meat Preserving and Sausage Making Secrets (or something similar to that). It basically an effort to trick folks into buying a lot of un-needed and high priced mail order goods from the company. Most of it is pure hucksterism.

bigwheel

The reason you dont see it as a slick piece of advertising is because it so slick. He tell you need all this non-sense stuff to make sausge..then he let you know that he just happens to have it. I was born on Thursday but it wasn't last Thursday. The boy just flat tells too many lies.

bigwheel

Any other book recommendations. I may still get the one recommended but all I need is a good reference, in print, that can run through smoking sausage. I have made fresh sausage and never used additives except for herbs, spices and salt. The mention of "Cure" and "Botulism" seems like subjects that could use some exploring. Maybe a quick Amazom search will help but I would rather buy something someone has already used and found useful.

Back
Top Bottom