What to do with Slaw?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dollarbill

Head Chef
I've got a catering gig for 125..........It's a drag, set up and drop. What should I put the slaw in for a serving container? I'm using foil pans for everything else but wasn't sure what to do with the slaw since the foil pans might react with a vinegar base slaw dressing. Any ideas? Thanks.

Never done a catering gig, but for larger parties I use the cheap ($1 or $2) black plastic bowels I get for the restaurant supply house. I use a smaller one, but I have seen a larger one, they are throw a way and they do offer lids too.

Just put some plastic wrap in the foil half pan. Works for us. I wish someone made a cheap plastic half pan. That sure would be handy for cold sides. Snap on lids would be cool too. I kind of don't care for the bowls as I think they take too much room in the cooler. (if they fit)

Pigs

After going to RD today and seeing that 4 to 6 big plastic throw away bowls were $18 n change I gotta go another route. I might try your idea Pigs but first i'm gonna go to the thrift stores and see if I can find some cheap but nice glass bowls. The gig is for 125 people so a $4.00 dollar bowl won't kill my profits.

If you have a dollar store out there you should check there. I have one right by me and sometimes I'm very surprised with what they have.

ChuckBBQSmoker said:
If you have a dollar store out there you should check there. I have one right by me and sometimes I'm very surprised with what they have.
Nice. Never even thought of the dollar store. Wow, not sure I should be so excited about the dollar store. Hahaha! :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

dollarbill said:
ChuckBBQSmoker said:
Nice. Never even thought of the dollar store. Wow, not sure I should be so excited about the dollar store. Hahaha! :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

I know what you mean lol

ChuckBBQSmoker said:
dollarbill said:
ChuckBBQSmoker said:

I know what you mean lol

Thanks Chuck. I went to the Dollar Tree this mornin and found clear plastic bowl. They are perfest and only $1.00! So I bought 10 of em so this won't happen again. haha along with a bunch of other $h1t that I didn't really need. No worries tho, everything was only a buck! hahahaa! Wow, again I shouldn't really be this excited about the dollar store. :LOL:

dollarbill said:
ChuckBBQSmoker said:
dollarbill said:
ChuckBBQSmoker said:

I know what you mean lol

Thanks Chuck. I went to the Dollar Tree this mornin and found clear plastic bowl. They are perfest and only $1.00! So I bought 10 of em so this won't happen again. haha along with a bunch of other $h1t that I didn't really need. No worries tho, everything was only a buck! hahahaa! Wow, again I shouldn't really be this excited about the dollar store. :LOL:

Yeah but when you find what you need... :mrgreen:

Glad my suggestion helped!

Well a person needs two pans or half pans on this deal depending on how much slaw you got. Put ice in the bottom pan and the goods in the top pan and set pan a on top of the ice in b. Saran to cover the top pan. That will work. Big worry is trying to get rid of the slaw the folks aint gonna eat. It can be flushed down the toilet in small batches in a worst case scenario. Now if you got possums and rats and other indigenous species just toss it out in the yard. All God's Creatures need to eat.

bigwheel said:
Well a person needs two pans or half pans on this deal depending on how much slaw you got. Put ice in the bottom pan and the goods in the top pan and set pan a on top of the ice in b. Saran to cover the top pan. That will work. Big worry is trying to get rid of the slaw the folks aint gonna eat. It can be flushed down the toilet in small batches in a worst case scenario. Now if you got possums and rats and other indigenous species just toss it out in the yard. All God's Creatures need to eat.

BW that would work fine. My problem is the slaw sauce is a vinegar base sauce and I don't want it to react with the foil pan. :)

Well just bag it up and set it in the ice on pan A. Stick a long handle spoon down in it. My old chum Big Jim down in Florididdy makes his slaw direct in the bag to start with. Saves some steps. He also had a banana pudding bag recipe which called for gallon cans of vanilla pudding from Sams. Swears I searched that place high and low and aint never seen a gallon can of pudding. Think maybe the Boy was into the left handed swamp cabbage or something?

bigwheel said:
Well just bag it up and set it in the ice on pan A. Stick a long handle spoon down in it. My old chum Big Jim down in Florididdy makes his slaw direct in the bag to start with. Saves some steps. He also had a banana pudding bag recipe which called for gallon cans of vanilla pudding from Sams. Swears I searched that place high and low and aint never seen a gallon can of pudding. Think maybe the Boy was into the left handed swamp cabbage or something?

:LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

BW we're not that far south... :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: This is a yuppie (for the most part, state) :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: Never made slaw i a bag. Doesn't meant it's not possible. :) :)

About as easy as falling off a log. Stuff a bag full of cabbage and add whutever dressing you like and shake it up a bit. Stick it in the ice box or chest or whutever you got. Room temp prob get it fitting quick:) Now since I am a lazy fat boy I tend to sweat a lot into the cole slaw. If you are likewise prone might consider cutting back on the salt a bit. Do you know how salty sweat is?

bigwheel said:
About as easy as falling off a log. Stuff a bag full of cabbage and add whutever dressing you like and shake it up a bit. Stick it in the ice box or chest or whutever you got. Room temp prob get it fitting quick:) Now since I am a lazy fat boy I tend to sweat a lot into the cole slaw. If you are likewise prone might consider cutting back on the salt a bit. Do you know how salty sweat is?

:LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: Sweat in to it? the slaw? ..ohhhhh...that's friggin nasty BW ..... c'mon you shouldn't admit that...lol. hahahaha! Thats just terrible..lol thats like sweatin' on to an 80/20 burger that nobody would ever notice. hahahaa! NASTY.... :D :D :D :LOL: :LOL: geeeezo peeezo deputy....hahhahaaa :LOL:

Back
Top Bottom