what to charge the kids

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Christopher1

Senior Cook
If it was me I'd ask for funds to cover the meat at the very least, if you want to donate, your time and wood/charcoal/delivery is more than enough.

I don't know what briskets run in your area but where I've picked mine up they are about $1.69 per pound. If you do fifteen 12 pounders at that cost, meat cost alone is just over $300, not including your time, fuel and delivery etc.

brex HUT said:
my bad i forget to say they will be supplying the meat

This is not a dig at the 4H but an observation in general.

If they supply the meat, who is guaranteeing that it has been handled properly?

I would arrange to go with them, or have them go with you to your supplier and pay for the meat.

If anything was to go wrong due to improper handling, it falls on your shoulders, not on theirs!

SoEzzy said:
brex HUT said:
my bad i forget to say they will be supplying the meat

This is not a dig at the 4H but an observation in general.

If they supply the meat, who is guaranteeing that it has been handled properly?

I would arrange to go with them, or have them go with you to your supplier and pay for the meat.

If anything was to go wrong due to improper handling, it falls on your shoulders, not on theirs!

I agree 1000%! I would not cook the meat provided by someone else, especially for a group of kids. Be safe and explain this to them. Good luck!

BTW, I'd do it for free.

I triple dittos on the personal meat procurement idear. Take an edumacated guess at how much the meat will cost then buy it yourself (using their upfront money) and square up with em by showing them the register receipt. They might owe you a little extra or vice versa and they due a little refund. The receipt would also be a handy tool if you wanted to charge em say a buck a pound to cook it...cuz the weight is printed right on the receipt. Buck a pound should cover your expenses for rub..sauce...wood... tinfoil..gas going to and fro etc. Maybe have a little beer money left over..but still qualify for charity work I think. Now if they have some home kilt prize show heifer or something similar they wanting you to cook..that be a hoss errrr..I mean cow..of a different color of course. Just weigh it out and stick with the buck a pound formula. If you want to skip the Albert Swietzer deal follow the same format only charge two bucks a pound. Person can make a little money above expenses at two bucks a pound.

bigwheel

"Pay it Forward"

If it won't hurt you financially... do it for free
There's a lot to be said for Karma and the whole
"you reap what you sow" and "what comes around,
goes around"

Pay it Forward my friend

We do this kind of thing a couple of times a year and do it for nothing.
There are two to five of us that get togeter and do the cooking tell the same ole stories and mabey have a brisky.(hide it in a cup)When you get finished with the project you might be tired but you will really feel good about what you have done. Just my 2 cents

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom