What to charge

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DaleP

Sous Chef
I am cooking on site for 35 adults and 15 kids. The menu is very simple but I would like to know how much you guys would charge.
Menu-
Burgers 'I make them about 1/3 pounders"
Beef hot dogs
Buns, tomato, lettuce, onion and condiments supplied by me.
Mac n cheese
Smoked corn on the cob
Bluecheese coleslaw
Regular coleslaw

Simple and basic to prepare but I need to figure out the quantities too..
How much would you charge for this? Chips, dips, and veggie trays are being served by the customers along with the drinks. It is only about 10 miles from my house also.

I would charge 3 times my cost, (4 times if you can get it) I figure 4 people per pint on sides, I also would charge a set up and on site fee of $75.00 Go for 4 times your cost first, if they balk you can always go down a little and make your dough. NEVER sell yourself short.

I don't know what to charge for burgers and dogs.. like pigs said.. 3-4 times your cost...you may want to charge a set-up charge for less than 50 people if it doesnt seem to come up to what you think you need to do the job....

but... I want the recipe for the bluecheese coleslaw if you are willing to share it. that sounds gooooood.

Gary

Will post when the maker gets home later. Wife makes it but I do know the basics. We use that Amish Blue that we get from Sams. Very mellow flavor and its already in crumbles. She uses bag slaw, Marzettis "or something like that" slaw dressing one part regular and I think 1 part of their bluecheese dressing.. Anyhow I will post the real thing later today or so.
I like it.

Well it was a total success except I had too much food, but the customers didnt seem to mind leftovers. I didnt charge enough but I made up for that in beer.

DaleP said:
Well it was a total success except I had too much food, but the customers didnt seem to mind leftovers. I didnt charge enough but I made up for that in beer.

So what did you end up charging per person? or did you go by the job? Come on man, let us know!

Well as far as I can guess, he lost money on the deal. He said 'I didn't charge enough' so that tells me he worked for free or less. I have said it a hundred times, NEVER sell yourself short! Business is business.Every summer some dork that is a 'back yard barbecue does a job and then people tell me how shitty it was. That's okay, keeps my customers happy! Barbecue catering is not a easy job. I have customers that turn me down at the price and then call me and bitch about what crap they got from someone else. ? Yea, they call at next function they have. constancy and quality are key. I'm NOT saying that Dale did a bad job. Only I think he sold himself short.
Hay, I can't go to Vegas at the end of summer, but it pays the bills. Another thing is 'You have NO friends in catering'

Well I havent kept up with this topic very well but I am a backyard dork, aint that right Pigs. The simple slaw recipe is now posted for all to see and no I didnt charge enough but had a ball and learned a bunch. I didnt lose money either and I have since got 2 more jobs from the party. I charged 6 bucks a head plus food cost. Easy job. The people have me booked for the same time next year but with ribs and chicken.

Oh Im not worried, just setting the record straight against guesses and quotes about me selling myself short. If my price is too low or high so what, I had fun and learned plenty. Its not like I was in competition for this job. They were friends who wanted me to cook for them but didnt want me to do it for nothing.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom