Vendors, you out there?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Captain Morgan

Chef Extraordinaire
Really hard to guess, a lot depends on your placement in the event (hi traffic) and the weather as well. I doubt I'd buy for more than 5 percent unless you've got a great looking marketing set-up to lure people in.

I would say to try to figure out your peak hours and how much traffic you may have duing that time. Try to sell out every day. If you have left overs, you have made too much food. I know this is not a lot of help, but try to figure how much you want to cook.

That's a awful tuff nut to crack, from your avatar looks like you can handle the volume. You didn't mention what you were pushing. I cant imagine doing that much product 3 days in a row for that many people. Please let us know how you make out and good luck! I have made BIG bucks vending and have lost my ass vending.

As you kno, it's a pure guess how many you will actually sell to.. I happennto think 5% is a good number for that many people.. if you sell over 8% consider yourself extremely lucky... seeing it is your first year, I'd be esatic with 5%.. just stager you cooking amounts... a lot for the first day, and see how it goes from there... What Jazz festival is it ??

Roo, I've got a one day vending job in Feb, my first one. After talking with folks, I was told what sounds like good advice....don't sell little
2 or 3 dollar sammies..not enough profit margin for your effort.
Sell 7 or 8 dollar plates with slaw and beans (cheap and easy) maybe
some bread (I'm doing hushpuppies). I've gonna have hot dogs on standby in case I run out of q so I can use the time I've got to make
every buck I can.

Let's run some numbers

Vending space $2,000 for 3 days

$2,000 / 3 = $666
if you sell 95 sammies/plates a day, at $7 a piece.. you'll break even on the event cost... that, of course doesnt include any cost incurred for all the supplies and meat

Just work the numbers.. total cost to YOU over and above the $2,000 ie cost of meat, ice, plates, napkins, utensils, sodas, cups , extra coolers, cleaning supplies, labor, lighting, fuel, table, decorations, and anythnig else I forgot

Good Luck to ya

I got screwed twice this summer on "vending". Don't know if I'll do it again! First time was Memorial Day . I cooked at a local winery. The owner told me they had 600 the previous Labor Day. Well, I was nervous to go that far out on a limb, so I cooked for 300. I served 105! It was about 95 degrees and HUMID!!! (Ask Uncle Bubba and ZBQ , who were there!) So, I agreed to do it again for Labor Day. I cooked for 150, and served 35! Weather was gorgeous. She just did not promote well. I would make damn certain, you will break even at the least. Woody

Hey, it's Southern California, grill up some Tofu burgers, with 12 grain bread, bean sprouts, mayonaiseless dressing, wearing a PITA T-shirt, a Charlie the Tuna Sucks hat, and having a Save the Whales jar on the table... multiple tatoos and body piercing will increase sales :shock:

Roo said:
I appreciate the help -

Well, yeah it is my first year of vending, at least I hope so, I guess I'll do some homework and see what will be worth the time and effort.

I was thinking of pushing pulled pork sandwiches, brisket sandwiches, chicken or ribs and a couple of sides.

This is for the Newport Beach Jazz Festival. It draws big names and people have money to spend in Newport. The Festival is asking $2000. for a 10X10 spot and 4K for a 10X20 - wow, thanks for the break.

So, $2000. plus permits, plus staff, plus inventory... IF I would do 5% - I think I would still be hurting.

Your thoughts...

Tri tip sandwiches!!!!!!!! It's California...

You can buy alot of house in Northeast Ohio for $250,000! ;) Oh yeah, it's 8 degrees as I write this and there is two feet of snow on the ground. Summers are great though! :D

Back
Top Bottom