Serving Sizes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dollarbill

Head Chef
To the guys who cater. When figuring out servings for sides (150people) - Do you go by the scoop or the pound or somthin else? Say for beans and slaw (cause thats probably what it'll be). Thanks.

I figure 2 oz for slaw and 2/3 cup for beans. Beans are hard to figure because alot of folks , specially women, just won't touch them. Afraid they'll fart I guess......

I usually go by the number of servings on the can for beans.. most say 24 for a #10 can. Green beans say 24 also, but I tend to get less servings out of green beans and more out of baked beans.

1 full size foil pan is usually 50-60 or so servings. a half size foil pan is closer to 20-24

This may be a dumb qustion but, What do you guys think about serving a pickle spear (or 2) as a side? You can get about 100 spears for $3.90 at Sams Club.

Woodman said:
Wouldn't try and call that a "side!" Maybe a garnish?

I hear you. Good point.

How do you break down you invoice to them?
Do you charge for the meat separately, the side separately, the other side etc etc?
or is it the package deal you get 1 meat and 2 sides for 10 buck a head? thanks for the help!

Gary in VA said:
I usually go by the number of servings on the can for beans.. most say 24 for a #10 can. Green beans say 24 also, but I tend to get less servings out of green beans and more out of baked beans.

1 full size foil pan is usually 50-60 or so servings. a half size foil pan is closer to 20-24

I also figue 50 servings using a full pan. I sometimes use a 4oz side rule of thumb.

Also, package deal is always the way to go. If you give them too many options, they can want one and not the other or the cheapest option. I offer all in one price and offer different delivery prices, drop off vs full service for example.
Good Luck

I used a lot of the half pans, and the #10 can of bush beans filled
it up. The can 25 or 26 servings on it, so the math is pretty close
with the above measurements for the full pan.

However, I got in trouble using that forumla with peach cobbler.
Took 2 pans for about 40 people, and they were cobbler gobblers,
complained it wasn't enough.

Captain Morgan said:
I used a lot of the half pans, and the #10 can of bush beans filled
it up. The can 25 or 26 servings on it, so the math is pretty close
with the above measurements for the full pan.

However, I got in trouble using that forumla with peach cobbler.
Took 2 pans for about 40 people, and they were cobbler gobblers,
complained it wasn't enough.

cobbler gobbler? :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

I cant wait to throw someone down with that one! :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom